Bunnings Nutrients Information

Yes I have had good results with Powerfeed and Seasol in soil. If you're growing hydroponically you'll need to use specific nutrients for hydroponics.

Growing in organic soil. It seems like the PowerFeed has different NPK ratios to what is recommended as a general guide. Just confirming that wont be a problem?

Growing in organic soil. It seems like the PowerFeed has different NPK ratios to what is recommended as a general guide. Just confirming that wont be a problem?

You're probably looking at hydroponic nutrients and not soil nutrients. Percentage is fine for nutrients. Could always try organic charlie carp.

You're probably looking at hydroponic nutrients and not soil nutrients. Percentage is fine for nutrients. Could always try organic charlie carp.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/powerfeed-1-2l-flower-fruit-and-citrus-fertiliser-concentrate_p2962111

Looking at this for flowering, after two weeks of flowering I would want to stop feeding it, right? It seems like the Nitrogen would be counter productive eventually.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/powerfeed-1-2l-flower-fruit-and-citrus-fertiliser-concentrate_p2962111

Looking at this for flowering, after two weeks of flowering I would want to stop feeding it, right? It seems like the Nitrogen would be counter productive eventually.

With a hydroponic nutrient in a soilless medium, yeah. If you want a big boost of P and K, get a bottle of liquid potash and chuck half a dose of that in with the purple powerfeed. You drop the nitrogen all together, you're gonna end up with yellowing leaves. Not too big of a drama, but still has it's problems.
  • Upvote 1

Still feeling pretty confused about all of this, nutrients wise. I don't know how Seasol and PowerFeed are helpful with so few nutrients in them. I was hoping for suggestions on a good nutrient I can use during veg growth, and another for flower/bloom. Hard to find clear and concise information focused on Australian growing.

Still feeling pretty confused about all of this, nutrients wise. I don't know how Seasol and PowerFeed are helpful with so few nutrients in them. I was hoping for suggestions on a good nutrient I can use during veg growth, and another for flower/bloom. Hard to find clear and concise information focused on Australian growing.

As it was explained to me -- seasol is to a plant, what multivitamins are for us. They are good for us but we still need to eat nutritiously to run our bodies at peak performance. However, we can still live without a balanced diet -- we just won't be as healthy and strong as we would have been otherwise. Same as a plant, as long as we have enough water, enough nutrients to get by and enough sun, we can survive. But we won't be at peak performance, obviously.

Now, powerfeed is NOT a hydroponic nutrient. It's not an organic one either. It's organically BASED, just like the synthetic nutrients you're drawing comparisons to. Those numbers are PERCENTAGES, not ratio. You can feed your plants with hydroponic nutrients in soil if you want, but the salts in hydroponic nutrients are going to kill your soil life and you are going to have to feed the plant directly instead of just letting it be and giving a water top up between feeding. You'll also have to then work out how much to use for it to be as effective in soil as it would be in the soiless medium it's meant to be used in. Needless to say, it's more work and hassle than it's worth. Nature does nature best and until you research organic growing and the entire process yourself, you're best sticking with organic-based nutrients and boosters over hydroponic nutrients and boosters.

The NPK percentage on a bottle of something that is not needed to be held for a short time in the growing medium for optimal uptake, will be different to the ratio of something that is added to growing medium to give the plant a boost. Soil provides everything the plant needs if prepped and treated right. Fertilizers are just a way to get a boost of stuff that might not be present in your soil due to lack of soil life.

Research how soil life works and how nutrients are taken up by the plant when feeding the plant versus feeding the soil, get interested in the whole process if you want to have some legit, impressive buds. Don't just reach for a bottle and make more work for yourself and a frankly less stellar final product. That's the lesson I'm learning with my entire life by looking into the way the environment and soil works instead of striving for "dank buds" from a bottle. It's a natural process that can only be accelerated so much by man. As long as there are good genetics and you can buffer the outdoor elements and environment, outdoor growing into the earth it is always gonna be best. It's a part of nature being grown by nature. How do you get better than that? Some get close but those some spend years doing and researching.

You want rad results? Do the same.

Use powerfeed as normal nutrients. Use potash through flower for a booster. Powerfeed has everything you need in it for your soil grow as long as you follow the manufacturer's instructions when preparing.

Edited by evatil
  • Upvote 1

-SNIP- Removed for quote size

Thanks for the post.

I am not confused about the methods in which plants take up nutrients. I am confused because all of the recommendations are exactly that, just recommendations, with no consistent discussion around the schedule of usage, volume, etc. I am thankful for people's inputs, but it's confusing because everyone has something different to say, and it's often, 'I think.'

Even your recommendation to use potash; at which stage/week(s), how often, in what dilution, etc.? It's considerably easier to just buy a pre-made nutrient solution from Canna, et al, than it is to just buy bottles from a store and hope it works, at least to me as a new grower.

Can i ask you a question? How do you want to grow? If your tight on money and want to grow cheap using KISS then go that way. If your good at reading instruction and measuring go with solutions. Most everyone on here grows a bit differently. As a newbie its very easy to start double guessing what you decide on because we read so much about so many different things that people do that work. It can be really head fukin some days. If in doubt just take baby steps ie first get babies to sprout, then into good quality soil with premix fertiliser in it allready. As your grow progresses then add pics and ask for advice.

Something i read here once made alot of sense.. its a weed that grows wild...

• Upvote 2