Nutrients advice for a new soil grower

I've had a deeper look into coco, it seems like it might be the way to go...

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Coco is great, but it can be a pain in the arse if you don't know what you're doing and you don't have a whole lot of attention to give your plants. You also need a bit more hardware to run it well, namely a decent pH testing pen. You lose any kind of pH buffer with it when going straight, which means pH adjusting every water and feed to keep your girls in the sweet spot where they can uptake all the nutrients they're meant to. Coco's ph can swing if the water going in isn't at the correct pH, which can cause nutrient lock out and subsequent deficiency. Straight coco doesn't retain nutrients or give you any form of pH buffer like soil, so you need to be pretty methodical with feeding days and water pH.

Will be having a look at your grow, Max! Sounds like the way I'd like to run some girls while I've still got close attention for them and am home a bit more than I will be in the future. Got a hydro shop that sells bags of 70/30 coco perlite. Thinking of starting my next photo seeds up in a mix of coco/vermiculite/perlite and then moving them into a 2:1:1 mix of equal mixed compost/coco:vermiculite:perlite plus some amendments for my outdoors so that I could still run it organically and not have to worry about fucking up with hydro nutrients. Gives me a bit of a buffer. Would love to give straight coco/perlite and hydro nutes a go but want to do it indoors so I can lessen the outside environment variables while I'm giving soiless a go. That won't be happening until I have a dedicated indoor grow space that's set up with all lights, fans, various meters blah blah blah.

Not the best photo but it's healthy. I've tied it down to open up the lower branches to light and it started flowering a little while ago. I had two but one turned male. The rest are in the ground. Bit of a grow and see trial. e71cc923963bb3f4cdea8eb9bb205d49.jpg Edited by Maxlass
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the replys from everyone. I intended to be methodical with my watering and neut schedule and dial it in for the following grow with soil, so it makes sense to use coco and perlite blend and get the benefits. Thanks for suggesting it as mediums was something I figured was good soil or hydro, so thanks again for bringing it to my attention. This will also make neuts a lot easier I think.

Thanks for the replys from everyone. I intended to be methodical with my watering and neut schedule and dial it in for the following grow with soil 

this is a very talked about subject , watering 

it's very hard to dial in something that is a constant variable 

small root system , less consumption , big root system , more consumption 

warm day , more consumption , cool day less consumption 

don't fall into , " It's Thursday , I've got to water " = fail 

better to have markers to tell you to water or not , just as a doc would do 

look at marker point to determine your health like blood pressure , ect ect 

in our case we can stick our finger in the pots top soil to have a feel , we can lift the pot & feel weight 

we can buy a cheap moisture meter , even a wooden skewer pushed in the soil & left for 15-20min 

will work like a dip stick with the wood absorbing moisture where the soil is wet  

some tools that can help even watering out are Blumat drippers or using sub irrigation , Sip's Sub irrigated planters 

• Upvote 1

I didn't mean it to be so literal, of course you will use common sense, I was meaning it in a little bit more of a generic sense and by following the first lot with clones in a perpetual harvest there will be some common traits that I will be able to learn from and depend on so I can get a general schedule down pat.

If you want simple and effective ,then piss off the coco and go perlite with 1/3 vermiculite.

No need to worry if its the right time to water or not.

Meaning you can water as often as you want ,or just water every second day if you want.

Can't get more simple .coco changes its chemical composition .its not even a true hydro medium

• Upvote 1