How I plan to cure/dry, Thoughts?

Hi all,

I'm approaching harvest time and I'm trying to get my process right for drying and curing.

I know everyone may have different curing/drying methods but I just want to know that i'm not doing anything inherently wrong so I can go into this next stage with a bit more confidence.

So far I plan to:

1. Trim my buds off straight away and trim the leaves off the buds from the start. I plan to keep  a bit of extra stem in tact on the buds so I can do the stem snap test.

2. I'm going to store them via the shoe box drying method... Basically poke some holes in the shoe box, put some strings in the shoe box and my buds will be laying on the strings which are suspended in the shoe box. This will then go in my wardrobe.

3. I plan to keep a humidity meter in the box to ensure the correct temps/humidity levels are reached. 

4. I plan to put some Integra 55% humidity boosters/controllers in each shoe box. I know that these are mostly used in curing but I thought why not for drying too? I read somewhere that ideal drying conditions are about 18 degrees and 52-60% RH. I imagine these would take the guess work out of drying my buds.

5. I will keep a small desk fast blowing in the wardrobe keeping some air circulation. Not directly blowing into the shoe boxes, more pointing at wall where the wind will bounce to the shoe boxes.

6. Once buds are dry and stems are able to snap, I plan to cure in mason jars with a 62% Boveda humipack & small humidity meters inside.

7. Burp and check on buds daily, moving them around and airing them out. Open them for a few minutes each day (unless humidity raises past 65% RH where I will open for longer).

8. Basically just leave them in these jars with the 62% Boveda pack for long term storage in a dark place.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers!

It’s a plan. Looks like you got it laid out. Have you got your jars ready? I wouldn’t bother with the humidity packs when you’re just drying the buds. Not needed and just an extra cost.

Cheers ooodog.

I haven't bought my mason jars yet. Now that you mention it, I'm not actually sure where you can get them from?

Fair point on the humidity packs for drying... Was probably just being pedantic. 

Couple of quick questions, what r your plans to be able to achieve these targets u have set

What r going to do if u can’t get it spot or even close?

Sorry not being critical just interested

Sounds nice in theory, would be interested to know if anyone here can do it and how they achieve it

Sent from my iPhone using OZ Stoners

Dedication.

Are you saying that I have dedication? Don't most put a lot of effort in this process as it will bring out all the efforts of handwork? Regardless, probably just have OCD about this kind of stuff lol.

Couple of quick questions, what r your plans to be able to achieve these targets u have set

What r going to do if u can’t get it spot or even close?

Sorry not being critical just interested

Sounds nice in theory, would be interested to know if anyone here can do it and how they achieve it

Hi Micmac,

Any particular points you're referring too? I have my steps listed but beyond that I'm not really sure as I'm still a beginner and have never done stage before.

If I can't get it spot on? Do you mean in terms of humidity etc? I'd think it would be pretty fool proof with the Boveda 62% humidipack but If It's not working to plan i'm not sure, time will tell.

More about the humidity levels n temps during drying

Personally, especially being your first time I’d be trying to make the process a bit simpler, yes it better to get a good dry n cure to get the most from your buds

Yes billy, feeling the effects of a few bourbons but I’ve moved off the sals n onto some WW