Medicinal Cannabis Red Tape Forces Thousands to Black Market

merl1n

Question

7 answers to this question

You need proper clinical trials to prove the anecdotal evidence is true, how many drugs get approved and turn out to have serious side affects as it is

i doubt any pollie's have a history of self medicating with cannabis, so they would be very cautious approving anything without phase 3 trials

and so they should.

there are a lot of wild baseless claims out there, like medical cannabis can cure back pain for one

get stoned enough and forget i suppose lol

i for one would like to know how medical cannabis cures back pain? is it any better than 1/2 dozen cans, which by the way doesn't cure anything

but still relives pain as good or better then pot, and legal, nothing cures back pain as good as strengthening your core muscle's

bloke in the story sounds like a lazy flog, who resorted to drugs instead of hard work 

Edited by pedro de pacas

No one has ever said that cannabis cures back pain. It can help take the edge off, and make it more bearable. I first experienced real debilitating back pain nearly 15 years ago. I hadn't smoked pot for 10 years prior to this. After a few months it dawned on me that doctors were prescribing increasingly worse opiate based pain killers (I can't take aspirin based products), panedine forte, oxycondone, oxycontin, tramadol, even valium was prescribed at one stage. I was also seeing various physios, including a sports physio, attempting to build my core as much as pain allowed. I had always worked manually and was quite fit and strong when I first stuffed may back. Nothing was really working.

I started to look for alternatives and took up cannabis again. It didn't cure my back pain, but it certainly took the edge off. I reduced, then virtually stopped the opiates, which by the way, don't cure back pain either. I would say it is at least as effective as all the medications listed above. What's more it is free and doesn't cause constipation. It isn't addictive and won't kill me, unlike opiates. The other positive is that once I found the right varieties it improved my mood. I was quite depressed with pain and the fact that I couldn't do much of what I used to enjoy.

Fast forward 15 years and I still have pain, but I manage it well. I am active, ride a bike, bushwalking, calisthenics, tai chi. Weirdly rather than building my core strength, I found it better when I learned to relax my core. I don't do physio any more as it was a waste of time and money.

I wish there was proper medical access for those that need it, especially people with seizures. The TGA are even more conservative than the government, possibly rightly so given the drugs that have caused untold damage in the past. Meanwhile I will keep self medicating. I am glad I don't have to rely on the glacial pace our governments and officials move at.

Edited by freddie
  • Upvote 2

Good stuff freddie, Thai chi is a great way to keep strong and mobile, its all about core strength and stability 

only ever found one physio that was any good, most wouldn't have a clue, only ever read about pain

your spot on with everything there, "take the edge off", pain is all relative one mans 4 is another's 9, anything over a 4 needs a can or two as well as some pot 

know a little bit about back pain, avoiding operations and wheelchairs is the go, move it or lose it, wear thongs, lol

no opiates, numb your self to much and you wont know how fucked you are and do more damage, that's my theory anyway

seen some scammer on here last night claiming medical pot cures everything including "back pain"