Ready made soil mixes

Hey Ladies and Gents

Looking to test out those new hydrotrays autopots looking to just chuck them out in the backyard with some vegetables in them most likely tomato or chilli plants, does anyone know of any of the big garden stores sell ok potting mix that will work? willing to drive to any that are within a reasonable distance to get a couple pre packaged bags of soil... would go down the path of investing in a bag of perlite, hydro nutrients, meters and all that shit but at this point i only want to see if these autopots work they are not the standard 2 pot 1 tray autopots they are the single black tray pots looking to leave them out in the back yard with very minimal work involved basically looking to just fill the reservoir and that's it

if this system works out i will use it indoors in a few months with some of that $65 a bag soil from the organic store online just at the moment i will be testing the autopot rather than throwing away good seeds on a test and all the cost involved of setting it up hydroponically or with expensive soil 

these are the black single pot/tray autopots http://www.autopot.com.au/ they came out a few months back but results are unknown as of when i asked about them

one other option was to go with blumats but every post i read about someone setting them up flooded there room which i can't afford a flood when i set up

Hey Ladies and Gents

Looking to test out those new hydrotrays autopots looking to just chuck them out in the backyard with some vegetables in them most likely tomato or chilli plants, does anyone know of any of the big garden stores sell ok potting mix that will work? willing to drive to any that are within a reasonable distance to get a couple pre packaged bags of soil... would go down the path of investing in a bag of perlite, hydro nutrients, meters and all that shit but at this point i only want to see if these autopots work they are not the standard 2 pot 1 tray autopots they are the single black tray pots looking to leave them out in the back yard with very minimal work involved basically looking to just fill the reservoir and that's it

if this system works out i will use it indoors in a few months with some of that $65 a bag soil from the organic store online just at the moment i will be testing the autopot rather than throwing away good seeds on a test and all the cost involved of setting it up hydroponically or with expensive soil

these are the black single pot/tray autopots http://www.autopot.com.au/

one other option was to go with blumats but every post i read about someone setting them up flooded there room which i can't afford a flood when i set up

Kept them moist didn't they........

• Upvote 1

Kept them moist didn't they........

What do u mean?

not sure if u mean the autopots have wet feet i can use volcanic rock or perlite in the base it will work like a auto watering hempy bucket just not entirely sure about the dry cycle or how long it last before the tray floods again

was also looking at these auto watering gadgets http://www.moisturematic.com.au/

i just want to avoid the whole watering once a day shit fight again hence the auto watering systems i am looking into

Edited by Chrystal

I'm happy so far, but it's still early days,,But I do have a concern about wet feet later in flower.

If that happens then my plan is to only have the tap open every second day ,

Also,,you can get foam pot raisers that have a wicking pad attached to use if that problem occurs. ,,I havnt any yet.

My advice to the OP is to go visit The Garden Smart Shop. It's at Garden World in Braeside,,

There are about ,,can't remember but hundreds of autopots in action with all types of plants.

The table you mentioned is set up but has very small pots ,,it looked like some fine potting mix in them ,,not the usual

Perlite - vermiculite mix they normally recommend .the pots used on the table are about the same size as the ones in the window boxes.

Im not sure about a layer of just perlite at the bottom because on its own it doesn't wick so well,,,.I defiantly wouldn't use scoria.

For drainage they are good ,but in this case we are wicking up the water.,,

Second hand sets are good and only need two small silicon inserts to make them work like new . Only 40 cents each.

Go to the autopot section at the autoflower network, I think they use Coco mostly ??

Anyway that's enough writing for my illiterate brain ,,,,,,,,,Need a panadol now !! lol.

What do u mean?

not sure if u mean the autopots have wet feet i can use volcanic rock or perlite in the base it will work like a auto watering hempy bucket just not entirely sure about the dry cycle or how long it last before the tray floods again

was also looking at these auto watering gadgets http://www.moisturematic.com.au/

i just want to avoid the whole watering once a day shit fight again hence the auto watering systems i am looking into

Sorry mate, the blumats causing flooding meant they were wet/hydrated, ect.

Sorry I didnt mean offence.

I went with the second option however if i can get a few more coins i will give the autopot a try i was looking at getting 3 of those single pot autopots to run i will see how many i can afford now i went with moisture matic will see how they work also

i will read the soil link above now hopefully it leads me in the direction of a god cheap alternative than using coco

They claim those 750mls bottles last a week i can't see this happening but i can use 4 per pot and hopefully get away with refilling them once every 3 days these only cost $30, the autopot i was going to link to a 60L reservoir but not entirely sure about the autopots as i haven't seen a good grow done with those yet and the advice on here is limited however i will try them i will try get 2 of those single pot models next week, i triedbuying some second hand but they are to far away

looking to try 4 different non branded potting mixes made by garden centres near me i will have to travel for some, i will pot up some veggies to see how they run will try to do a run at the same time with the autopots so i can see any differences between those self watering wicking bottles and the autopots