True origins of strains thread.

How do they make hybrids if it is a clone only strain? True clone only strains wont grow seeds. They are sterile female plants that can only be cloned to keep the strain.

:peace: MongyMan

Clone only plants can be hybridized by outcrossing with unrelated genetics.  Whereas Sterile plants cannot.  I keep several sterile females in my library of genetics...not to be confused with clone only as I have male & female stock of the same genetics.  

No, true clone only strains wont grow seed no matter how much pollen you dump on them. They are sterile plants and the only way to propagate from them is by cloning.

@Mongyman ~ That's not the proper definition of "Clone Only"...You're just talking about sterile females which is not defined as Clone Only.

Clone Only is defined simply as a cutting/clone where there is no opposite sex partner of the same hybrid/genetic in seed or clone form.

Only hybrids? Must be a licensing thing or something because they can't otherwise stop anyone from treating a female clone with colloidal silver to make female pollen to fertilise another (or a non-treated branch of the same) clone and collect feminised seeds?

AFAIK any female cannabis plant can be forced to produce female pollen by horrible things like silver before and during the first 3 weeks of flowering?

@doctor_nelson Only hybrids in regular seeds for sure.  I wasn't even thinking about feminized seeds..and you're right, as those are an excellent option for when a matching male can't be found.  And at least a couple companies have made TrainWreck S1's/feminized seeds over the years.  Curious though, why do you consider silver horrible?

@doctor_nelson Only hybrids in regular seeds for sure.  I wasn't even thinking about feminized seeds..and you're right, as those are an excellent option for when a matching male can't be found.  And at least a couple companies have made TrainWreck S1's/feminized seeds over the years.  Curious though, why do you consider silver horrible?

OK, I admit "horrible" is a bit hyperbolic, but I sure hope nobody thinks colloidal silver is harmless - it needs to be treated with respect IMHO - lots of people drink it for "health" reasons and there are some well known, mostly US based enthusiasts with blue skin as a result. Like most metals, Silver has all sorts of unpleasant health effects in humans with sufficient exposure  but you are right - although it does amount to a rather fundamental assault on the plant's physiology, binding the copper in an enzyme needed to produce the ethylene required to form female flowers.

Typical plant dose is a daily spray with 40-60 ppm so even if you use a whole liter during the first 3 weeks of flowering, it's only a 60mg pin head of elemental silver. That's a tiny amount but I'd still be very wary of inhaling vapour or smoke from any treated plant material - the seeds and subsequent seedlings are fine.

Going back to the Grinspoon for  a second, it's interesting that seedfinder have updated their lineage. That's a fairly recent change.

I knew DJ Short claimed some time ago that Grinspoon was a knock off of his Panama Red X OPT and the more time I've spent with the strain the more I've come to believe that there may be some truth to that claim. I've never grown Senor Garcia so have no direct comparison but Grinspoon definitely ticks all the right boxes for that lineage.

Anyone know on what info seedfinder base their genealogies? DNA markers? Educated guesswork? Breeder info? AFAIK Barney's haven't come out and said, yeah we totally ripped off Reef. lol

~Nitro

How do they make hybrids if it is a clone only strain? True clone only strains wont grow seeds. They are sterile female plants that can only be cloned to keep the strain.

Reversing clones to get seed and back crossing onto the original strain clone with the next gen of cuttings. It's how cali connection, DNA etc do their shit. Blue dream, clone only but available as S1 feminized seeds from cali connect. La affie, again clone only but available as feminized S1 seeds.

Sterile plants are not clones. You can take an F1 gen regular female and clone it. The clones are 100% viable with any pollen and reversible.

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Edited by ShitsNGiggles

Reversing clones to get seed and back crossing onto the original strain clone with the next gen of cuttings. It's how cali connection, DNA etc do their shit. Blue dream, clone only but available as S1 feminized seeds from cali connect. La aggie, again clone only but available as feminized S1 seeds.

You can't get seeds off a true clone only plant, they are sterile and wont grow seeds no matter how much pollen you hit them with. If they can grow seeds they are not clone only they are just a select pheno clone which yes you can breed from. That doesn't stop people marketing them as 'clone only' though which creates the confusion.

You can't get seeds off a true clone only plant, they are sterile and wont grow seeds no matter how much pollen you hit them with. If they can grow seeds they are not clone only they are just a select pheno clone which yes you can breed from. That doesn't stop people marketing them as 'clone only' though which creates the confusion.

Fair comment. I've not played with clones long enough to find sterile plants. I usually get cuttings from females from regular seeds. I've done some crossing with the offspring aka clones. I've gotten seed but I've not taken an actual blue dream cutting from cali and tried reversing it so all I have is other's info. I've used ga3 to reverse offspring from the clones with varying results... including hermi's. Not tried to take fem cuttings in vege and reverse either...

Much rather regular male female breeding and phenotype hunting. Creating breeding lines etc. I have found CS and GA3 to be... problematic. I'd rather my female not stress hermaphrodite in a cyclone. This year we got 3 cyclones and I destroyed 3 stress hermaphrodite plants... from over 100 females. Things are a little different out here.

Edited by ShitsNGiggles