Marijuana-Related Suicide An Epidemic, Says MP

Guest Urbanhog

Guest Urbanhog

I was looking up some of Australian Newspaper's websites, seeing if any interesting Aussie-related cannabis news. I think, this MP is pretty much misinformed, I think he needs to study bit more....

Marijuana-related suicide had reached epidemic proportions in Aboriginal communities in the Northern Territory, the NT government's most senior indigenous MP said today.

Community Development Minister John Ah Kit said his government had to reduce marijuana abuse, which had increased markedly in black communities in recent years.

In one community of 650, there were 30 suicide attempts last year related to marijuana smoking, Mr Ah Kit said,

During a one-month period, three of the attempts succeeded.

"Marijuana is sweeping across our communities in major proportions and it is a real concern," Mr Ah Kit told ABC radio.

"People are buying this marijuana and when they have an opportunity, mix it up with alcohol.

"There's some sort of fusion; people become paranoid and people are committing suicide.

"We need to start to turn it around; we can't continue to allow this suicide stuff happen in epidemic proportions."

Police Minister Paul Henderson would be making a cabinet submission on the marijuana problem soon, Mr Ah Kit said.

A parliamentary select committee on substance abuse would make its recommendations early next year.

Marijuana is rarely cultivated around Aboriginal communities.

Mr Ah Kit said the supply and distribution was organised and involved both indigenous and non-indigenous people.

ATSIC northern zone commissioner Kim Hill said communities had to take responsibility by not protecting dealers.

"We can throw millions of dollars into programs; however if the people in the communities don't take responsibility and dob these people in, we're just going to waste a lot of money and waste an lot of time," Mr Hill said.  

Pubdate: Mon, 25 Nov 2002

Source: Sydney Morning Herald (Australia)

Copyright: 2002 The Sydney Morning Herald

Marijuana-related suicide had reached epidemic proportions in Aboriginal communities in the Northern Territory, the NT government's most senior indigenous MP said today.

Community Development Minister John Ah Kit said his government had to reduce marijuana abuse, which had increased markedly in black communities in recent years.

Heya mr John Ah Kit,......WHAT PLANET ARE YOU FROM?...hehe,..you sure know how to make an ass outta yourself towards international community who, in general, don't like this "black" frase coming from politicians dude.

as long as your kind of politicians exists,...

********goin' for tha "dumb MP" award? hehe

man,..would I love to talk with this dude,...show him some stats.

man,..would I love to talk with this dude,...show him some stats.

No use talking to fools like that, they have too many reefer madness type "truths" on their side to ever bother listening to real facts. The only time his type change their minds is when the polls are against them.

lol

<rolls on the floor laughing his fuckin ass off>

jesus christ some people are utter and dead set commedians.... then theres people like this.... who should just be shot and all put into a mass grave and pissed on from a great height.

what politicians really need is a line in the sand between using, and abusing, in my opinion anyway.

as for this fusion of alchohol and cannabis creating this

"un denyable urge" to kill oneself... my smoking and drinking leads to either me not being able to move, or me not being able to move and being incoherant in a state of utter euphoria.

toms right about these idiots and not being able to talk to them, they're all creatures of conformity within the laws of generally 'whats good for us'

and i think it was tom who said a while ago, that governments should be managing things for us, not managing us. therefore not telling us what to think, it's fair enough to pour millions of our tax dollars into finding out how bad mj is, when it's true, and so long as they present the facts and not jam them down out throat telling us what to think and deride all personal opinions. and also whats good for the goose is good for the gander so why not split the money and designate half to research on how GOOD it is ?

shouldn't a good democratic leader be non bias ? i feel they should be in order to consider everyones different opinion. the goverments there to do what we want isn't it ? not what they want ? but alas it never works out this way.....