Prevention

Tom

Put some fly screen mesh over your inlet and exhaust vents and fix any light leaks, they would most likely have been attracted to the grow room by escaping light and/or warmth.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrggggghhh........I've got em' :D. I'm drenching at the moment, heaps of the little bastards. I'm going 2 get some strips 2day, and I've got a good baygon 6 month surface spray,

This may seem obvious to experienced growers but for the benefit of the new growers, if possible drench plants outside the grow room so you can get around them better, the bathtub is a good a place as any if you have to do it indoors. The use of surface sprays is not recommended without first removing the plants from the grow room and insecticides shouldn't really be used on plants in the later stages of flowering.

OK I can still not find the "Catch brand moth killer" or Mortein "Moth and Insect Strips" or anything where the active ingredient diclorovos. I've been to nurseries, hydro stores and supermarkets. Most things seem to be either napthalene or camphor, and I'm not sure if these are safe.

can anyone help me out here?

Some pesticides are also suspected ot causing birth defects — and not only agricultural ones: even pesticides commonly used in Australian homes are on the high risk list. The Australian Democrats’ science spokesman, Senator Coulter, has recently called for domestic insect sprays and pest strips to be banned. According to Senator Coulter, the insecticide DICHLORVOS has been known to be mutagenic since 1973.

Thanks for that Spurious... I did some basic toxicology checking on the net when tom first suggested them to me. I didn't find too much aside from massive ingestion can cause carcinogenic affects in rats. The amounts were spastic tho.... like the equivalents of kilos for people.

It's a hard thing, maintaining organic practice as far as pest control goes. I always agonise over spraying anything on the plants, or using any insecticide, as not only do I consume my own MJ and vegie/fruit produce, but I have several cats who are affected directly by anything I use. It's something I take very seriously.

"Prevention" is more than just using these pest strips, although they are quite effective IMO, it's a whole state of mind. Making sure pests can't get into the grow in the first place is far more effective, but something that few growers take the time to do. It's also something that's a little harder to do, particularly in the use of wardrobes, as they're small, and necissarily highly ventilated structures. Vaz's pantyhose covers for intakes, (and outakes should be sheilded too, particularly if your fans go off for any reason, be it co2 use, thermostat or power failure.) are a great idea, and should be used by all small scale growers IMO, and would be a good thing to think about in cases of larger grows. Making sure there are no other possible vectors for insect or pest transmission is important too... If you have pets, keep them away from the grow. They are usually the ideal vector for mites, aphids and all kinds of small flying pests. You yourself are a way for pests to get in there too. Make sure you wear clean clothes and have a shower before entering the growroom. If you've been handling any other plants outside the growroom previously, then this is an absolutely necessary countermeasure against infestation. Make sure that any cutting tools you use are sterilised before using on other plants, or on clean/unaffected parts of the same plant if removing a pathogen like mould. Bleach is a good steriliser, and scissors and other metal instruments can also be flamed sterile, either on a bunsen burner or with methylated spirits. (Be careful with both. :) )

I try to use the safest methods available, and usually try and use biological or organic derived products too. The only exception would probably be the diclorovos strips for me, but they're removed from the growing space a few weeks before harvest, so I'm quite confident that there are no ill effects. I'll easily change my mind if you can show me something a little more solid Spurious, and thanks again for bringing that to Ozstoners attention. :)

Oh yeah, and Pipeman, I searched high and wide too... Try Coles or Woolworths. They may carry them, although you may have to go to a few different ones to find it. They're Mortein Moth and Insect Pest Strips. Although I think you know that already. :)

prevention is most definetly better than cure.

have any of you guys ever used or heard of a product called microbial rtu.

it pretty much kills all bacteria virii moulds etc.

the beauty about it is that its a natural co-polymer ( i think that right???) in other words its a plastic or some crap. anyhowz if you spray it on grow room equipment, tables pots etc it will stay their for up to 6months prtecting your precious plants from all those terrible diseases! I own a fogger and just fog my entire room in between every crop coupled with that and a few disease prevention products it has been quite some time since i have had any disease problems

I clean my grow rooms like that also, plus I use a fogger, and sticky tabs either yellow or blue. However, spidermite still came back.I know this is really pushing it, I completely dismantled it, and built a new one at a different location.

it's really upsetting to see all your hard work being eaten alive, and every thing you try fails :D

I clean my grow rooms like that also, plus I use a fogger, and sticky tabs either yellow or blue. However, spidermite still came back.I know this is really pushing it, I completely dismantled it, and built a new one at a different location.

it's really upsetting to see all your hard work being eaten alive, and every thing you try fails :thumbdown:

Abermectin smashes spidermite into oblivion , its the active ingredient in Vertimec , if you get hold of it you will never have a problem with Spidermite one spray at first sight and they are done .

http://www.syngenta.com.au/Start.aspx?PageID=10101&ProductID=525716&menuId=2053

Rod