GREENERY IMPROVES THE SCENERY

where i am its red dirt, but so much clay. fairly hard to dig into and u can squeeze a handful of it, throw it on the ground and it doesn't even break its that hard. tried growing potatoes in it once... nope. grows real good weeds and prickles tho haha.

^ Must be different dirt then what i'm talking about. Infact, re-reading the thread, i'm guessing the red dirt GQ was referring too has just been sprinkled over the top of normal potting mix.

Not a bad idea.. might refract some sunlight and keep temps down a little. Black absorbs alot of heat..??

What's the motive for red dirt over the potting mix GQ.. not trying to have a go at you.

:peace:

Edited by Allotropy

lol you had me thinkin allo i was reading you post and trying to work what you were talking about i even went outside to look at the plants in pots to see if i could work out what the blacks bits are because i dont even use potting mix lol well not for canna anyways but im glad i did take a look coz i think maybe what your looking at is maybe seed raising mix,if there going in the ground then i sow seed straight into the ground but if there going into pots i start them of in seed raising mix the black bits are just bits of seed raising mix that i mixed in with the red dirt when i potted the plants from small pots of seed raising mix to there final bigger pots of red dirt lol i think thats what your talkin about allo fuck you had me thinkin though

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Hi sooty and indy the red dirt here is awesome the mineral rich clay is about 2/3foot down when i hit that my hole is big enough lol the surface soil has excellent drainage i cant complain about that if anything i could probably add something to retain water,my area is pretty unique i live in one of the few spots left in australia that still has old growth trees and inland rain forests and it only runs across the top of the great dividing range for 100klms long and 2klms wide and back to the bunya mountains if you google bunya mountains and check out some images you'll be able to have a look at my backyard lol not literally i mean the gondwana rainforests what sounds my yard

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

While you were checking your plants and typing up your post I was re-reading through the thread. Turns out the soil you are using is also Volcanic... hmm. I wonder if your in the same area code as me. lol

I used to just buy vermiculite or perlite.. even crush up styrafoam and mix it in with the soil, then use that mix as potting mix. Add a little lime and presto you have your own mix.

Drainage is the only concern I had with the soil, hence the lime and styrafoam/perlite etc when using it as potting mix.

Anyhow, consider me subbed..

:peace: