2 Pot RDWC Setup for $50 + Water Chiller

So today i am on a budget and was looking at buy another Nutrifield RDWC hydroponic system so i thought i would knock one together out of parts from local shops

Special Thanks To

Super Cheap Auto

Bunnings

The Local Hydro Shop

I started off

2x 15 litre buckets lids included $5 each (Super Cheap auto)

6x 25mm L elbows (Bunnings)

6x 25mm rubber top hat grommets (LHS)

2x small 80mm mesh pots (LHS)

1x 13mm L elbow (Bunnings)

1 meter of 25mm soft rubber hose (LHS)

This cost $35

Some 13mm hose, water pump and water chiller/heater i already had

The water travels from a pump placed in the bucket on the right up thru the 13mm hose down along the floor thru the water chiller than into the bucket on the left than it travels from bucket to bucket via the 3x 25mm hoses in the bottom of the bucket than continuously recycles 

post-2209-0-67222700-1503911438_thumb.jpg

So today i am on a budget and was looking at buy another Nutrifield RDWC hydroponic system so i thought i would knock one together out of parts from local shops

Special Thanks To

Super Cheap Auto

Bunnings

The Local Hydro Shop

I started off

2x 15 litre buckets lids included $5 each (Super Cheap auto)

6x 25mm L elbows (Bunnings)

6x 25mm rubber top hat grommets (LHS)

2x small 80mm mesh pots (LHS)

1x 13mm L elbow (Bunnings)

1 meter of 25mm soft rubber hose (LHS)

This cost $35

Some 13mm hose, water pump and water chiller/heater i already had

The water travels from a pump placed in the bucket on the right up thru the 13mm hose down along the floor thru the water chiller than into the bucket on the left than it travels from bucket to bucket via the 3x 25mm hoses in the bottom of the bucket than continuously recycles 

What happened to "back to basics: Gazza, you gone complicated again, go and get some dirt, and at least get a smoke for your trouble.

And stop being a tight arse

Edited by pedro de pacas
  • Upvote 2

interesting... looks lile a nice neat setup.

how come you used three hoses connecting between the two buckets?.. any special reason for this?.

p.s. how Much water do you flow thru it?.. and is it a constant cycle? .. or do you have it on timer?.

cheers.

The 3 hoses are in case the roots block one i have another hose to flow the water i put a 3rd just as a precaution, the water pump hose is 13mm at 500lph and those drain hoses are 25mm each so it should be ok

yeah it is constant circulating system its a DWC system with recirculating wate, no timer it runs 24/7

Good luck on this run Gaz,.

Thanks Dal, letting the heat settle down and waiting for new seeds by the time they arrive it should be ok to get up and going, got some Dutch Passion Auto Ultimate coming

nice ones.

im trying to set up something similar as an experimental thing.

only have one bucket done an tested so far..

how much water do you have in the bucket/buckets?..

and is there a secondary pump to pump from bucket to bucket.. or is it gravity fed drain type thing back to the first bucket.?

sorry for all the questions.

just tryin to work oit the best way to do it.. an what you have looks pretty neat an tidy.. i like it.

The water level will be touching the bucket but once the seedlings grow roots down into the water i'll drop the level of water to about half or 1/3rd, if u look at my second pic u can see a hose coming out of the bucket at the top there is a pump connected to this hose the water flows up and out of this bucket thru the hose into my water chiller than it travels thru a hose back to the bucket on the right at the top, all that is needed is one pump rated at 500 litres per hour, once the water flows back into the left bucket it gravity feeds thru the big 3 hoses at the bottom to the right bucket and repeats

for emptying the buckets i just remove the top hose on the left bucket switch on the pump and all the water is pumped out of the system for a weekly water change

pretty easy man :)

What happened to "back to basics: Gazza, you gone complicated again, go and get some dirt, and at least get a smoke for your trouble.

And stop being a tight arse

I dusted off my 3x 7 gallon fabric pots than thought fuck it i can't be bothered watering every day for 45 days i like the simplicity of the plants watering them self's all i need to do is top up the buckets and do a weekly water change, PH will be done by the nutrients if i chose to change nutrients

I dusted off my 3x 7 gallon fabric pots than thought fuck it i can't be bothered watering every day for 45 days i like the simplicity of the plants watering them self's all i need to do is top up the buckets and do a weekly water change, PH will be done by the nutrients if i chose to change nutrients

I'm hearing ya, might be right behind you soon, back to the future