Starter pots for seedlings

Howdy Folks, I am trying to think of a method of planting seeds that would suit Hydroponics, I am using the clay balls and was not wanting to use jiffy pots as i would rather keep the dirt out of the system. I have used rockwool previously but am not that happy with them as they tend to hold too much water when in the balls. I was thinking maybe i might try some shredded tissues in a paper cup and when they have grown a bit turn it upside down and hopefully end up with a paper plug that the roots should grow out through ok. I have started the seeds in paper towels at the moment but will soon need to move them to somewhere more stable.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Z

Howdy Folks, I am trying to think of a method of planting seeds that would suit Hydroponics, I am using the clay balls and was not wanting to use jiffy pots as i would rather keep the dirt out of the system. I have used rockwool previously but am not that happy with them as they tend to hold too much water when in the balls. I was thinking maybe i might try some shredded tissues in a paper cup and when they have grown a bit turn it upside down and hopefully end up with a paper plug that the roots should grow out through ok. I have started the seeds in paper towels at the moment but will soon need to move them to somewhere more stable.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Z

I just germed in water then transferred straight to a foam collar, similar to a sponge.

971610ea837227e124f514c2db3f7283.jpg

07d70834c36e5a2eb8e4380d2faace18.jpg

Maybe if you flushed a small piece of sponge it would do similar?

How big are the rockwool cubes that you've used previously?

The 1.5 inch cubes never created issues for myself. They went into 6 inch netted pot/s filled with clayballs, in a DWC setup.

With the tissue method you mentioned, I'd have some concerns with the chemicals used to bleach the tissue paper. Could be a range of stuff from bleach, chlorine, formaldehyde etc.. If unbleached paper, maybe not so bad.

Edited by Indycar

They look good mate, Do the roots climb through the foam ok? Where do you get them?

Cheers

Z

I got these from eBay when I bought my netcups. It is literally a sponge, you could probably use anything similar. Once mine showed leaves I was able to still remove from the sponge and put into a firmer neoprene collar instead which retains zero water. I've used the foam things through dwc and never had problems with them at the roots or stem.

How big are the rockwool cubes that you've used previously?

The 1.5 inch cubes never created issues for myself. They went into 6 inch netted pot/s filled with clayballs, in a DWC setup.

With the tissue method you mentioned, I'd have some concerns with the chemicals used to bleach the tissue paper. Could be a range of stuff from bleach, chlorine, formaldehyde etc.. If unbleached paper, maybe not so bad.

I have used both sizes previously but more recently the large ones and they are the ones i thought held too much water, I will get some of the smaller ones i think.

The problem is that i didn't really want these seeds to grow at the moment as the tent is already full. The seeds were some i bred with the colloidal silver method so all feminized, i pulled the previous crop a bit soon as i was wanting to have time for another go before summer kicked in and i thought the seeds were no good as they were quite pale and small so i threw about 15 or so in some wet paper towel and all the damn things popped up so not sure what to do with them, Seems criminal to just dump what i know to be good female seedlings but might have to although i would like to hang on to them for a month or so as the ones in the tent ATM are not feminized so will likely have 2 or 3 out of five turn out bloody males, time will tell..

I have used both sizes previously but more recently the large ones and they are the ones i thought held too much water, I will get some of the smaller ones i think.

The problem is that i didn't really want these seeds to grow at the moment as the tent is already full. The seeds were some i bred with the colloidal silver method so all feminized, i pulled the previous crop a bit soon as i was wanting to have time for another go before summer kicked in and i thought the seeds were no good as they were quite pale and small so i threw about 15 or so in some wet paper towel and all the damn things popped up so not sure what to do with them, Seems criminal to just dump what i know to be good female seedlings but might have to although i would like to hang on to them for a month or so as the ones in the tent ATM are not feminized so will likely have 2 or 3 out of five turn out bloody males, time will tell..

You can drop them round my place mate I'll look after them for ya haha