Mail Seized

Additionally, here's a Google cut and paste that is on point.

"

The Commonwealth Criminal Code makes it an offence to open someone elses mail. This legislation applies Australia wide.

The following is an extract from the legislation:--

471.7 Tampering with mail-receptacles

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if the person dishonestly:

(a) opens a mail-receptacle; or

( B) tampers with a mail-receptacle.

Penalty: Imprisonment for 5 years.

(2) A person is guilty of an offence if:

(a) the person intentionally opens a mail-receptacle; and

( B) the person is not authorised by Australia Post to open the mail-receptacle; and

© the person does so knowing that he or she is not authorised by Australia Post to open the mail-receptacle.

Penalty: Imprisonment for 2 years."

And a link to some people worth listening to: https://www.sydneycriminallawyers.com.au/blog/what-are-the-penalties-for-tampering-with-mail-in-australia/

"

• Forging postage stamps or knowingly using postage stamps which have been forged.
  • Stealing mail bags from Australia Post employees.
  • Stealing mail from Australia Post.
  • Tampering or interfering with mailbags.
  • Tampering or interfering with letters or other articles that are being delivered by Australia Post.
  • Obtaining a delivery item by deception.
  • Helping someone else obtain a letter or other delivery item by deception.
  • Using the postal service to harass or threaten someone else.
  • Interfering with a post box or stamp vending machine."

It just depends what the police want to put on you.  The second bold is in case you're thinking about asking a friend or family member to open a PO box for you, in their name, to try and throw of the police.

Edited by chained

Yep thats correct.. doesnt mean collecting or receiving someone elses mail is illegal though does it?? Pick it up or have it delivered under old tenants name and hold it for 2 or 3 days. If u get a visit then you just receieved someones mail and its there unopened. Therefore you didn't do anything wrong.. finding loop holes in the law is possible, thats what lawyers do

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/index.php?/topic/78705-Indoor-LED-2nd-grow---Amnesia-and-Northern-Lights

If the mail man delivers you a pound of green does that make him a drug dealer? Technically no because he is unaware what he is in possession of. Same case applies when receiving mail.. cover your tracks and no evidence means no case

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/index.php?/topic/78705-Indoor-LED-2nd-grow---Amnesia-and-Northern-Lights

If your in the game using or selling you just need to take precautions to limit any hard evidence or proof of your involvement.. do that and you may have a second chance.

At the end of day its a known fact australia post simply dont check mail especially express. There is not enough time to thoroughly do it and police rarely do get involved, even when they do these big operations they catch what 30 packages a state? Lets be realistic theres 1000s of packages weekly going to each state. The percent they find is so minor you probably have a better chance winning the lottery then getting your goods seized! I know for a good 6 yrs the mail system has always delivered never lost a thing.

"...known fact Australia post simply dont check mail especially express..."

Not quite a fact, I have had express parcels opened and marked as opened by oz post and a couple that didn't reach their desired destination. Someone got lucky at my expense.

They don't check them all but some central depots do have sniffer dogs that give them the once over.

If the mail man delivers you a pound of green does that make him a drug dealer? Technically no because he is unaware what he is in possession of. Same case applies when receiving mail.. cover your tracks and no evidence means no case

No, it doesn't, not even in the slightest.  The legal information I posted is verifiable by anyone.  It's all about precaution, sure, but without knowing all the information - you're just guessing.  Not you personally, but in general.  I'm not guessing, I'm basing what I say on experience and legal precedent.  And 'ol mate' that works at the post office sorting mail isn't a good source of information, why would a government agency risk exposing it's goings-on to Sally the postie?

Like the "Blacked out Chopper" thread, all and sundry replied with expert reasons as to why it's not the police - Until the police arrived at his door.

Take precautions, and don't ignore law just because it makes life harder. 

• Upvote 2

Yep thats correct.. doesnt mean collecting or receiving someone elses mail is illegal though does it?? Pick it up or have it delivered under old tenants name and hold it for 2 or 3 days. If u get a visit then you just receieved someones mail and its there unopened. Therefore you didn't do anything wrong.. finding loop holes in the law is possible, thats what lawyers do

You watch too much TV.  The police watch where it goes, and who collects.  That becomes the target.  "My name isn't on the package" won't do anything for you, or your lawyer, and if you care to look up any mail related busts you'll note the addressee is rarely mentioned in court, if at all.  If you collect, take it home and open it - it's yours.  I cannot state that enough for anyone who cares to consider the actual implications iin what they're doing. 

Don't just blindly assume.  Aus Post is government owned business which falls under the Minister for Communications, it's not the corner deli where you buy lotto tickets

Edited by chained

You must of missed the part where i said leave it for a few days before opening. They arnt going to wait to raid you if you take it home and your being watched they wont be giving you time.

And please dont just blindly assume that i am making assumptions. I know a couple people that have worked in aus post for years and im sure they have an accurate idea about what happens behind the scenes. On top of that ive gained my knowledge on this topic from life experience. 95% of people havent seen what ive seen.

Why are you even argueing. Just read the paper.. woah 30 packages seized or maybe 100? That figure is a joke and it just shows the effort put in by law enforcement is minimal. 50kg of meth or coke is nothing, 500lbs of green ? Omg that's nothing too.

If you dont actually have any idea what goes on and no idea of quantities that get moved within australia then you wouldnt understand how much actual comes in compared to whats seized.

It's cool man.  I put the info there for anyone to read and verify themselves.  The old "leave it for a couple of days" isn't the genius move you think it is.  I've never seen anyone actually write their name on their drugs, yet it can be connected to them. 

We all know things through various means which we wont openly discuss here, and even if we did we couldn't prove it without exposing something of ourselves.  I didn't say don't use Aus Post, I just pointed out that your means of stealth/fraud isn't new or inventive, nor is it going to save you if your package gets noticed - we've (some of us are past middle age) been using Aus Post it for decades, and so have the police

I'm sure anyone reading this thread can decide what to do. 

Edited by chained