315w CMH/LEC vs 600w HPS

severa

Stoners are not known for commitment. Ever had a reliable dealer? I haven't

This is an unfortunate damaging stereotype.  Honestly mate, several of the most reliable and responsible people I've known are stoners, as were the majority of the tech workers I've known who were any good at their jobs. Half a dozen of those people were dealers. They were very serious about meeting their ethical obligations. When I was a teen and the mammoths still roamed free, most of the honor society at my school were stoners. Steve Jobs was a stoner. The biggest part of the computer language revolution was the result of stoners.  When I was not using cannabis and had only done so about 4 times in my life, I had a crap low play sweat show software job making about 24K a year.  Then I had to start smoking cannabis for pain in 1995. By the end of that year my pay was $86,500 (1995) because I was that much better at the job. I was known for my unusual memory and concentration.  3 years into full disability I was still getting calls, trying to find ANY way that various government departments could hire me back for a while.

• Upvote 1

I

According to marketing blurb, 315w CMH lights are meant to be equivalent to a 600w HPS.  Now, I've always been cynical about those claims, just like the similar claims being made by LED manufacturers, but never thought that necessarily made them bad lights.  LED's and their particular pros and cons mean they aren't what I'm looking for, but the CMH lights seemed to be, so I bought a couple of Hi Par 315's to have a crack.

I've been growing under 2 x 600w HPS in a 1.2*2.4*2.0 tent for a while now, so have a very good idea what to expect.  Best yield was 1200g, worst 980g, but generally I hit 1100g ish.  As some of you know I'm one of those idiots that likes to do multi strain grows, which means compromises and assorted problems, all of which mean I could improve yields with single strain grows, but I love making my life difficult, and love variety in the stash even more, but I still manage an average yield around 1100g consistently unless I have a couple of visits from the Fuck Up Fairy.

So a 4 strain grow with 5 distinct phenotypes was the test grow for these lights, pretty standard stuff, in coco/perlite fed via Tropf Blumat Drippers as usual, with my usual EC of 1.2-1.3 and normal nutrient and pest control regimes.  Usual mix of medium and good yielding plants, plus one plant having an unexpected under stretch, and one an unexpected over stretch.  Short version, everything as normal and average.

:peace:

did a bit of math. Using the CMH you were only using 52.5% of the power you used with the HPS (630/1200).

Also, if you started out with 2x600w HPS and had an average yield of 1100g, then you were pulling in 0.9166 g per watt.

Using the CMH you were pulling in 920/630=1.46g/w.

Had you been using (somehow) 1200 watts of CMH lights your expected yield would be about 1752grams from the same space.

Essentially, grams per watt to grams per watt you got 150% of the HPS yield per watt, by using CMH instead of HPS. Also if I use your yield differences the needed light per square foot of 38 watts per square foot for HPS (commonly used in the USA) changes to 23.8564 watts per square foot. But this also means that to achieve 23.8564 watts per square foot, the largest area one can cover with a single CMH315 would be about 3.63'x3.63' (or 110cm x 110cm) without dropping yield.

Using your yield figures, I calculate that you need to use about 256.788 watts of CMH per square meter to get the same yield.  You gave the plants about 82.5% of that, so you lost 20% of your yield.

I've been considering using 1 CMH for veg in a 5x5 with 2 of them for flower in a bigger space. But my math tells me that is way low. I really need 2 CMH315s in that 5x5 space for a solid yield.