315w CMH/LEC vs 600w HPS

I'd guess I ended up about 50cm, maybe a little less, with the Chinaman Hat Shade, and a bit higher with the Vertical Square Shade that came with the kit as it was a much narrower footprint, but I never actually measured it and my old man stoner memory probably isn't the most reliable thing to go off :D .

Thanks for bumping the thread and jogging my memory, I had meant to post the harvest pics from that grow but got sidetracked and forgot all about it, so here goes:  Apologies for pic quality, they were a bit rushed.

For anyone who's followed my previous grows, you'll be able to see the small difference in the size of the buds.  It's not massive, but that's where the 20% loss came from IMO.  The buds on the big plant were pretty much normal though, and that plant was in the crossover section of the lights, which leads me to believe that bunging a 3rd light in the middle and pushing the other 2 a bit closer to the ends to get more use of the PAR reflecting material should create a lot more crossover intensity throughout the tent.  Should also allow me to run the lights a bit closer to the canopy, again raising the intensity.  I'll probably try that next year, and am confident that I'll easily beat the 1200w HPS benchmark with 945w.

But as stated earlier, I'm happy with the slightly higher quality and smell/taste, and to pull that weight from 630w is pretty impressive as far as I'm concerned.

:peace:

Bloody nice looking harvest there Hashy :thumbsup:  The trichs on the Disco Cookies look awesome!

They look beautiful great work. Thank again

Posted from the OZ Stoners mobile app

Thanks, and no worries

Nice one Hashy, looks great

Thanks Ford

Very nice Hashy.

I still cant choose between gettin a 630w cmh or a 600w hps for when i can get back in the game.

Starting to lean towards the 630w but not fully sold as yet...

Thanks Ozzy.  As impressed as I am with them, I most definitely will not be getting rid of my 600w HPS's.  They might be a bit outdated, but they are a cheap and proven light which pumps out great results.  Really comes down to personal situations and preferences which light people should choose, and unfortunately budget for a lot of us, these LEC's broke me financially even though they'll effectively pay for themselves eventually in power savings.  I'd reckon the 630w should blitz a 600w HPS in a 1.2x1.2 tent though, with less heat issues.

Nice Ripe looking buds there!

Pakistan looks amazeballs!

Thanks Bogan.  She's a great strain if you like the heavy sedative/narcotic type body stone, one of the best I've grown for it, and that's what gives me the best medicinal outcomes.  She was the last of the pack :crybaby: unfortunately, wish I'd forced a clone for fem pollen but I never got to it.  Got some crosses with Northern Lights though, and they should be pretty good.  And not only is the hash extremely good, but it drops a goodly amount, pumping out resin on shade leaves is always a good sign.

Bloody nice looking harvest there Hashy :thumbsup:  The trichs on the Disco Cookies look awesome!

Thanks Ange.  DC was the 1st to finish, and I was glad cause I'd been drooling over those trichs for weeks beforehand.  The trimming hash disappeared fast, as did the trichs that fell through the screen when I destemmed.  Slightly floral sweet and sour taste/smell, very similar to a White Widow I grew a couple of years back, and the stone is similar as well.  A mix of SSS strains (Rhino Cookies x Zombie Disco I think), big thanks to the donor of the beans.

On the subject of hash, I never bother weighing the hash bin material before doing a hash run, so I can't make that comparison for these lights.  But, I generally get a hash return of around 20g on an average grow of 1100g of manicured buds (off the trim and popcorn, not the buds), if that makes sense.  I used to get more when I'd do a 3rd run for low grade cooking hash, but I only bother with the decent stuff these days.  So, this run was about 20% down on average bud yield, but I still got 20g of hash from the trim etc.  I know there's a lot of variables that can affect this, and the Pak being one of my better hash producers would have helped, but I still see this as potentially significant.  So in the name of accurate data, and for the info of Oz Stoner members, I shall commit myself to further research on hash return with these lights, it's a shit job but somebody has to do it :D

• Upvote 2

Thanks, and no worries

Thanks Ford

Thanks Ozzy. As impressed as I am with them, I most definitely will not be getting rid of my 600w HPS's. They might be a bit outdated, but they are a cheap and proven light which pumps out great results. Really comes down to personal situations and preferences which light people should choose, and unfortunately budget for a lot of us, these LEC's broke me financially even though they'll effectively pay for themselves eventually in power savings. I'd reckon the 630w should blitz a 600w HPS in a 1.2x1.2 tent though, with less heat issues.

Thanks Bogan. She's a great strain if you like the heavy sedative/narcotic type body stone, one of the best I've grown for it, and that's what gives me the best medicinal outcomes. She was the last of the pack :crybaby: unfortunately, wish I'd forced a clone for fem pollen but I never got to it. Got some crosses with Northern Lights though, and they should be pretty good. And not only is the hash extremely good, but it drops a goodly amount, pumping out resin on shade leaves is always a good sign.

Thanks Ange. DC was the 1st to finish, and I was glad cause I'd been drooling over those trichs for weeks beforehand. The trimming hash disappeared fast, as did the trichs that fell through the screen when I destemmed. Slightly floral sweet and sour taste/smell, very similar to a White Widow I grew a couple of years back, and the stone is similar as well. A mix of SSS strains (Rhino Cookies x Zombie Disco I think), big thanks to the donor of the beans.

On the subject of hash, I never bother weighing the hash bin material before doing a hash run, so I can't make that comparison for these lights. But, I generally get a hash return of around 20g on an average grow of 1100g of manicured buds (off the trim and popcorn, not the buds), if that makes sense. I used to get more when I'd do a 3rd run for low grade cooking hash, but I only bother with the decent stuff these days. So, this run was about 20% down on average bud yield, but I still got 20g of hash from the trim etc. I know there's a lot of variables that can affect this, and the Pak being one of my better hash producers would have helped, but I still see this as potentially significant. So in the name of accurate data, and for the info of Oz Stoner members, I shall commit myself to further research on hash return with these lights, it's a shit job but somebody has to do it :D

Sounds like nice hash!

On the "to grow list" for sure!

Think I mite have a go at fem seeds with the current grow!

... Back to reading again! Zzzz

Why did the NL hermie ? or did you pollinate a branch or 2 ? looks like i can see a seed..... the paki looks nice, good hashplant ....

well done,

-edit- : So, did you fabricate those screens yourself ? Do much drysifting ?

No hermies, I just didn't take quite enough care while pollenating a couple of branches :whistle:

Bought the hand screen of Ebay a few years back, thinks it's 90 micron, I use it when destemming dry buds etc so I can get some quick hash samples for each freshly harvested plant, curiousity and all that.  I built my own hash tumbler which I use for most of my hash sifting, but occassionally do a bubble bag run as well.

Sounds like nice hash!

On the "to grow list" for sure!

Think I mite have a go at fem seeds with the current grow!

... Back to reading again! Zzzz

I love my Afghanica's, and have grown several hybrids from the region, as well as another Landrace from Afghanistan.  The Afghan was very nice as well, but the Pakistan Valley (World of Seeds) is more resinous and has much, much better bud density.  As a result it has become my all time favourite Afghanica strain.  If the NL cross doesn't come out close enough I'll be buying more.

Cheers for that Hashy.

Odds r i will go the 630w cmh, i have 1k to spead on re-seting up i have to get everything for that tent fan filter and lighting well the main parts.

I will do as i always have hand water it gives me a chance to have a look and keep things on track and going to use frabic pots as well.

My thinking with the fabric pots there no holes down the bottom for gnats and i can fold the tops of the pots over to cover the top serface to help keep the lil fuckers out that way i will b using less extras to keep the lil fukers away.

My 1st buy will b the tent i am starting to look at em now...

• Upvote 1

Yep, good to hear you're nearly ready to get back on the horse Ozzy, just hope that wonderful caring institution of QLD Law Enforcement leaves you the fuck alone this time.

If you've only got 1K budget for a complete setup you'll probably have to give CMH a miss or you won't have much change left for a quality fan, filter and tent.  A 600w HPS ballast, globe and shade is a shitload cheaper, and always handy to have sitting in a cupboard if you upgrade to the 630w CMH later on.

Yep, good to hear you're nearly ready to get back on the horse Ozzy, just hope that wonderful caring institution of QLD Law Enforcement leaves you the fuck alone this time.

If you've only got 1K budget for a complete setup you'll probably have to give CMH a miss or you won't have much change left for a quality fan, filter and tent.  A 600w HPS ballast, globe and shade is a shitload cheaper, and always handy to have sitting in a cupboard if you upgrade to the 630w CMH later on.

I going the cheap road in regards to the cmh from china to get me back in the game.

That about the only cheap rd i will go and odds r i will have to cough up some more $ for what i will need.

Prob lookin at 200+ for fan around 200 for filter and same for tent, i still have a few things here that dident get taken like a reflector a small tent and a few other odds and ends...

they used to say the 400watt cmh globes for the old 400w magnetic ballasts were up to par w/ a 600w hps in terms of yield for most but not all phenotypes.

I looked at a 315w lamp as an annoying addition to the market.

I have to buy new ballasts now to go w/. Before I had these 2 ballasts I could slam a couple hot 400w cmh's in.

so if you divide 100 by 400 then multiply that by 315 , you are left w/ the percentage I thought a 315w was compared to a 600w for output.

still good isn't it ?

100 / 400 * 315 = 78.75%

315w cmh I thought was 78.5% of the power of the 600w in terms of photons..

315w cmh uses only 52.5% of the power-draw from the wall as the 600w does.

best part is i look at a 630w cmh like its a 1000w hps

he he

Did you go down this route? That's my thoughts too, the 315s are a nice comparison but why not go same wattage and blow the equivalent HPS out of the water.