mine are 125 ml. One has 3speed, ,,I only use it at lowest speed for 1.6x1.6 by 2.4 box

The other is in a 1.2 X1.2 tent with a variable dimmer dial ,I reckon I run it lower than then the other fan

And it still pulls the walls in . No other stuff like silencers , and with the door to the room closed it's not loud enough

To be heard , ,unless I was really listening for something .

I prefer using a variable speed ...

Interesting little gadget doctor - According to that reddit link the DIY thingy looks to be v. Similar to what I use - I can get the air noise down to super low levels but it comes with a price - my fan whines like a wee bairn when on the slower settings.

Zero whine with the Blauberg and that triac speed controller despite the bad reputation for triacs to effectively turn motors into loudspeakers, especially at very low speeds.

It could also be because these cheap chinese electrical goods are getting much more sophisticated and the description claims they're suitable for small motors so they're probably using designs that can cope with the inductive load of a motor coil without making it whine - as opposed to a lighting dimmer triac which will likely blow up and certainly make the motor hum depending on the speed.

It could also be the way the Blauberg is made, but there's almost no motor noise at very low speeds, although I admit to being fairly old with poor high frequency hearing. I'll ask someone younger to listen tomorrow and let you know.

I guess that's another solution - grow old and suffer high frequency hearing loss - no problem with high pitched whining from fans or significant others :)

Edited by doctor_nelson

Zero whine with the Blauberg and that triac speed controller despite the bad reputation for triacs to effectively turn motors into loudspeakers, especially at very low speeds.

I guess that's another solution - grow old and suffer high frequency hearing loss - no problem with high pitched whining from fans or significant others :)

Interesting, I might knock one of those triac jobbies up then and see how it compares. If that fails I might go with the high frequency hearing loss option. Those years playing guitar in shitty bands has got to be good for something :D Edited by stinkybrownmist

Qwob i run a 150mm Whisper Silencer fan in small tents its a great fan, as i was packing it up last time i thought i would check my GrowLush fan speed controller to see if it worked with the WSF and it worked brilliantly and on the lowest setting i could barely hear it running standing right next to it and it still moved around 40-50% of the max volume

maybe try geta 200mm Whisper fan with a speed controller, mine never made the whine noise either using the GrowLush controller which was a suprise

i only ran it on the speed controller for a few minutes tho

mine never made the whine noise either using the GrowLush controller which was a suprise

I saw those for $45 on Egay but 've read bad things about growlush gear so decided to try the cheaper chinese route. I suspect that growlush uses the same smart circuitry to deal with the inductive load of a small fan. Glad to hear they work for you.

Edited by doctor_nelson

I saw those for $45 on Egay but 've read bad things about growlush gear so decided to try the cheaper chinese route. I suspect that growlush uses the same smart circuitry to deal with the inductive load of a small fan. Glad to hear they work for you.

doc, it has only worked on the Whisper fan, i have tried it with a Ebay centrfigual fan and it made the whine noise

I got a couple of chepa centrifugal and inline fans off ebay and a speed controller, but it didn't work well with any of them, fan either didn't run or stopped and started constantly at anything but about 90% power.

They are all so loud I can almost hear them outside, can't have the windows or door to that room open or can hear it all through the house.

Lesson learnt buying cheap shit and trusting the 'specs' advertised. Going to get a HyperFan Stealth or maybe an IsoMax 150 and some insulated ducting for my next run.