Favourite shade for a 600w

IMO, cool tubes can give some heat reduction benefit with 400w or less, but when I tried running one with a 600w I got more issues with light bleaching under it than my open shade.  I discussed this with a guy at a hydro shop and he agreed.  The problem seems to be the radiated heat goes straight through the glass without any cooling effect by the air movement, and being enclosed it's got nowhere else to go, or that's my assumption.  Whatever it is, I've found both batwing and chinaman hat reflectors to be a much better option with 600w HPS, and I particularly like the Chinaman Hat.  Both of those shades get a much better spread of light than a cool tube as well.

However, running 250-400w HPS in the small nursery tent does work very well with the cooltube, but still bleaches buds that get too close at 400w

IMO, cool tubes can give some heat reduction benefit with 400w or less, but when I tried running one with a 600w I got more issues with light bleaching under it than my open shade.  I discussed this with a guy at a hydro shop and he agreed.  The problem seems to be the radiated heat goes straight through the glass without any cooling effect by the air movement, and being enclosed it's got nowhere else to go, or that's my assumption.  Whatever it is, I've found both batwing and chinaman hat reflectors to be a much better option with 600w HPS, and I particularly like the Chinaman Hat.  Both of those shades get a much better spread of light than a cool tube as well.

However, running 250-400w HPS in the small nursery tent does work very well with the cooltube, but still bleaches buds that get too close at 400w

I wonder if the volume of air running through the cooltube would make a difference to heat issues, I only have experience with a 400 watt, though didn't suffer any bleaching, I find some strains are more susceptible to bleaching and even different pheno's of the same strain have a different tolerance to bleaching. I agree with hashy though, better a reflector that spreads the light ,better than a cooltube.

I'm with you on that ozzy.  The one I had was really decent quality and it threw the light sweetly...waaay better that the cooltube but then I think I'd need to really work on temp control.  But yeah that'll be the next reflector I purchase.

Faith :sun:

I wonder if the volume of air running through the cooltube would make a difference to heat issues, I only have experience with a 400 watt, though didn't suffer any bleaching, I find some strains are more susceptible to bleaching and even different pheno's of the same strain have a different tolerance to bleaching. I agree with hashy though, better a reflector that spreads the light ,better than a cooltube.

You would think extra air flow through the tube would make a difference, at least up to a point, so I suspect it does, but I also suspect that would have no impact on radiated heat, but in all honesty that's all speculation without any factual evidence, so??????  I still use mine in the nursery tent at lower wattage, and I know from feeling the air at the outtake that a fair amount of heat does get removed, so in a small space every little bit counts and it does make a difference compared to an open shade.  Just my experience in the big tent at 600w seemed to be counterproductive.

And you are definitely right about some strains/pheno's being susceptible to bleaching, I've got one that's hyper sensitive to HPS even without being too close to the light, but absolutely loves being outdoors.

:peace: