Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Can I use these types of lights?

Recommended Posts

Hi all thanks for letting me join the site , although I'm a old member Trizo I haven't used the site for some years! I need advice on some lights I have laying around and if I can use them as I have a few , Ok I will try tell you type of light!


As follows:


HI/C-HI /HS (DE) lamp

70w/ 0,98A/ tw130


Thanks in advance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's for a downlight, used in many modern/updated kitchens

That pic is of the igniter, which is normally part of the ballasts internal componentry. The ballasts often contain an ignitor and a capacitor as two separate components

So by showing just the single component it could be a little confusing

But in newer ballasts they often don't have individual components but more integrated circuits (All-in-one) components. Components that aren't solely fluro or metal halide or HPS, but can work with all when configured correctly and that's what you've shown.


A bit of an explanation. That initial info you gave of "HI/C-HI /HS (DE) lamp, 70w/ 0,98A/ tw130" is a bit confusing, so to clarify here goes:


HI=metal halide

C-Hi=Ceramic Discharge Tube

HS=High Pressure Sodium

(DE)=Double Ended (like the bulb in that pic ya posted)


70W=70 watts maximum rating. Go any higher than 70w and things may short circuit, may melt, may catch fire. 70watts is its MAX. DO NOT GO HIGHER

.98A is point 98 amps. Most household circuits are 10amps. Most powerboards are 10 amps. DO NOT ADD MORE THAN A TOTAL AMPERAGE OF 10AMPS or again you'll have a fire.

TW 130= A type of reinforced wire contained within the component called Trapezoidal Wire. Its use means for its diameter a higher current can be pushed thru it than a simple copper wire of the same size. The maximum temp it can reach is 130degrees C  Now that's a real basic explanation of Trapezoidal wire but that's what the TW 130 means.


So getting back to your original question "...if I can use them..." Technically, yes. But only if you know what you are doing.

Usually, in a ballast that you buy, all the electrical connections, testing etc is done in factory, then they are certified.

What you have there is to be connected by a QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN, who then tests and signs off(Certifies) that its all connected safely. Usually the electrician has to sign a compliance certificate once it's installed.

Hook it up wrong and you risk fires/electrocution/exploding light bulbs/exploding componentry. If you wire it up yourself and have a fire, all insurances are null and void.


Now being that its max rating is 70w it's hardly worth it. IMO you'd be better of spending the cash on a decent FACTORY MADE, FACTORY CERTIFIED ballast.

You could use it for seedlings possibly, but personally I'd use a small fluro. Less heat with fluro


P.S. Don't cover the top of it, they generate a shitload of heat. They have been the cause of many a fire cos people install them themselves but don't remove the insulation batts around them and cos they can't get rid of the heat they ignite. BE CAREFUL.


Hope it helps


Edited by merl1n
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the community in any way you agree to our Terms of Use and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.