what light should i buy for vegging plants?

hi everyone,

im running a single CFL 130w atm for vegging,  what kind of light should i use for vegging after the first few weeks?  the vegging room is pretty small 1.5 x 1.5 by 2.2m high. what light would be best suited for this size room for vegging?

i like the 315w LEC`s i already have 2 of them using in flowering with great results.

im thinking i might go with a 315w LEC/CMH however the cost of them is fairly high, whats a cheaper option? im thinking maby a 250w MH kit? think they exist yeah?

i will be vegging the plants in the flower room for a few weeks also all under there own LEC/CMH`s. 315watts and then when i turn them i will still be using the LEC/CMH 315w as im having good results with them.

so yeah im basically debating on a 315w LEC/CMH or a 200-400w MH light kit...

whats everyone think?

Edited by medicalgrower

The 315 should be good, though it might struggle to fill that footprint.  If you do, make sure you get it with the globe for veg, I think 930 is for flower and 942 is for veg, but you should double check that.  The flower spectrum globe will work, but seems to give slower upward growth with a very tight internodal spacing.

For 1.5x1.5 I would recommend a 600w HPS dimmable digital ballast like the Lumatek.  600 is maybe just a good wattage for that footprint, 250 or even 400 isn't enough.  But with the lumatek digi you can dim to either 250, 400, or 600w, so you can start with the light down low set to 250 when they first pop up, and then raise the light as they grow and you spread them out, and raise the wattage at the same time, if that makes sense. 

Some people love MH, but I find HPS to still give great results in veg, with a slightly tighter structure which I believe is more desirable indoors, and then you can keep using it for flowering as well.

I'm sure you'll get recommendations for LED's, which is fine if that's what you want, but be ready to drop some serious coin to get a LED light that gives good results.

:peace:

The 315 should be good, though it might struggle to fill that footprint.  If you do, make sure you get it with the globe for veg, I think 930 is for flower and 942 is for veg, but you should double check that.  The flower spectrum globe will work, but seems to give slower upward growth with a very tight internodal spacing.

For 1.5x1.5 I would recommend a 600w HPS dimmable digital ballast like the Lumatek.  600 is maybe just a good wattage for that footprint, 250 or even 400 isn't enough.  But with the lumatek digi you can dim to either 250, 400, or 600w, so you can start with the light down low set to 250 when they first pop up, and then raise the light as they grow and you spread them out, and raise the wattage at the same time, if that makes sense. 

Some people love MH, but I find HPS to still give great results in veg, with a slightly tighter structure which I believe is more desirable indoors, and then you can keep using it for flowering as well.

I'm sure you'll get recommendations for LED's, which is fine if that's what you want, but be ready to drop some serious coin to get a LED light that gives good results.

:peace:

yeah mate i thought the 315 might not make the foot print. ill read around but think i might go with a 600w HPS dimmable digital ballast, But im going to read further into MH for vegging.....i myself have been using HPS for vegging before the CFL and i didnt notice much different in the veg stage i dont think apart from what u mentioned about tighter structure etc.....so might be HPS, what do others suggest HPS or MH? for vegging only.

i wont be going back to any LED`s i spent $900 on one and the results after 4 weeks were so poor i sent it back and replaced it with a 315 ;) never looked back... and yeah i realize you need to spend $1000`s on a good LED if u want good results...

the more i think about it the more im thinking HPS!!! waiting to see what other have to say!

cheers