Can you exhaust into the same room the grow tent is in?

If you are recirculating your air (not much fresh air from outside in your grow room), pay a bit extra and get a good carbon filter that uses premium carbon, as any coal dust from the carbon filter will be recirculated around your grow area/room/house. Basically, it is not good stuff to breath in, as it ranges from 1 - 100 microns in size (1 - 10 microns is some really nasty stuff). This is not a concern when exhausting outside ... but can be a big deal in a recirculating system.

Also, before using your carbon filter, make sure to put it on the blower side of the fan for 5 minutes or so ... that will blow out any loose carbon/coal dust that has become dislodged during travel - it's good to do this outside. I get a bit anal here and then vacuum the inside of the carbon filter after blowing. :) I would strongly suggest doing a bit of research here and find out which filter company uses Australian activated coal - I can tell you that the Can Original Filters use coal from China. Also, try to get thermally activated rather than chemically activated coal. If a company will not tell you where they get their coal/carbon from and how it was activated ... don't buy it - from my experience, when a company uses good stuff, it will be on all their marketing material. Made in " ... " will not affect where the coal is sourced ... see Can Filter Original again i.e. made in Canada ... coal from China (their Can-Lite range does use Australian activated coal though ... lol ... but you would have to search very hard to find any mention of where the coal is sourced in their Original range.)

Realised I just dished Can Filters a bit, which was not my intent, as I do like the company and people who work there. In my case, I bought an Original Filter assuming that the 'Australian' carbon mentioned on their page was actually in all their filters. Since buying, I have chatted with them (they are located close by) and they were very upfront when asked directly about the source of their carbon. Just one of those situations when I should have researched a bit more thoroughly.

hope this helps

Thanks Pug that actually makes heaps of sense and I never thought of it that way so it does help heaps I will definately have to look into it.