changing to 12/12

hi there,

i have 4 plants all about 10 inches tall in a closet, and have decided to today change them over to 12/12.

when will i know which are males? what should i do with the male plants as i dont really have anywhere else to put them?

do males bud at all? can you use males for anything? and is the problem that they pollenate the females leading to seeds in the bud?

thanks again.

hi there,

i have 4 plants all about 10 inches tall in a closet, and have decided to today change them over to 12/12.

when will i know which are males? what should i do with the male plants as i dont really have anywhere else to put them?

do males bud at all? can you use males for anything? and is the problem that they pollenate the females leading to seeds in the bud?

thanks again.

Hi there

You should be able to tell the males from females in about a week or so.. after a few grows you should be able to tell in the veg phase if you veg for long enough. After about 4-5 weeks normally indoors you will be able to tell by the preflowers. But after a week or so of flowering, you will either get pistals or pollen sacs forming.

Males are pretty much useless unless you want your whole crop to turn to seeds. What strain are you growing?

Try have a read of this

http://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners...?showtopic=7326

I wrote it a while back, it will give you some idea of how the plant grows and how to determine the sex of it.

In response to your other questions.. kill the males if you arent going to use them to breed. They are useless, you will get no bud from them and just end up ruining your whole grow if you let them pollen sacs open.

Good luck

hi nath,

i dont know what strain im growing, i was not able to be too picky when i was getting the seeds.

thanks for the info, i think ill be able to sort it out......bummer we have to chuck males eh, itd be nice to do somthing with them.....

worth cooking with the leaves?

thanks again nath

Thanks MM, It took a while to write up.. Im still a newbie myself.. all I do is read about growing mj, everyday.. It's hard having insomnia and trying to study/work at set times. I havent smoked mj in a year or so.. that is why I am growing, to regulate my sleeping pattern, without using other drugs. It works too.. when I smoke mj I am perfectly 'normal'.

That pic of the pollen sacks is awesome.. chingy, you could use the leaf from the males in cooking I guess.