Legal Medical Cannabis in Western Australia

On the GWN-Tv news here in Western Australia they just said that medical cannabis will be legal here with in about 2 weeks time.

But still have to sort out some red tape bullshit so they said it may take a few more months before you can get a doctors script for medical cannabis.

I am so happy YAHOO YAHOO.

Regards from one very happy Dingo-2008. 

https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/Pages/Barnett/2016/10/Medicinal-cannabis-laws-set-to-change.aspx

"Products that could potentially be approved will be those in safe and accepted pharmaceutical formulations. Raw cannabis and the smoking of cannabis will not qualify as medicinal cannabis."

Same pharma crap only laws like other states.

Edited by wannagrowbuds
  • Upvote 1

https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/Pages/Barnett/2016/10/Medicinal-cannabis-laws-set-to-change.aspx

"Products that could potentially be approved will be those in safe and accepted pharmaceutical formulations. Raw cannabis and the smoking of cannabis will not qualify as medicinal cannabis."

Same pharma crap only laws like other states.

Now don't take this as gospel, because I'm not a lawyer, or even particularly smart.  My understanding of what I've read and heard etc, is that the Federal legislation was drawn up in order to facilitate the states being able to make their own med canna legislation, and that that Federal Bill dictates the boundaries within which the states can operate.  And the way I understand the Federal Bill, the products that can be legally dispensed will be pretty much pharma only.  Can't remember the wording, but it came across as "legalese" for pharma products only.  In fact I lost all excitement about cannabis law reform in this country the day that Federal Bill came out, as it clearly came across as a back room deal worked out in advance to enable a few big corporate entities and American Pharma to cash in whilst not giving the slightest shit about patient outcomes.

A small number of people will end up getting some good medicinal benefits as a result of all this shit, but for the rest of us it's a case of what Nibbler said :gardening: , and hoping that the law doesn't find out.

• Upvote 2

Now don't take this as gospel, because I'm not a lawyer, or even particularly smart.  My understanding of what I've read and heard etc, is that the Federal legislation was drawn up in order to facilitate the states being able to make their own med canna legislation, and that that Federal Bill dictates the boundaries within which the states can operate.  And the way I understand the Federal Bill, the products that can be legally dispensed will be pretty much pharma only.  Can't remember the wording, but it came across as "legalese" for pharma products only.  In fact I lost all excitement about cannabis law reform in this country the day that Federal Bill came out, as it clearly came across as a back room deal worked out in advance to enable a few big corporate entities and American Pharma to cash in whilst not giving the slightest shit about patient outcomes.

A small number of people will end up getting some good medicinal benefits as a result of all this shit, but for the rest of us it's a case of what Nibbler said :gardening: , and hoping that the law doesn't find out.

I most certainly agree Hashy. Our Federal Govt supports big business and you can't get much bigger than BIG pharma. With big pharma having the $$$ to be able to run double blind trials and isolate the desired active components the govt have less need to get involved in trials. BUT... (and for me this is the biggest BUT) by isolating individual components the 'test subjects' do not get the whole plant benefits. For me its not solely the THC, its not solely the CBD, nor solely any other of the multitude of cannabinoids, but the interaction between all of them that gives me the benefits I need. Big pharma want sole ownership. Whether that is ownership of the specific cannabinoid or ownership of the process for extracting the specific cannabinoid, they want to own it. They can't patent nor own the natural plant, so they don't want whole plant extracts. The govt was warned that this is what would occur if they relied on big pharma, but the govt doesn't want to be spending monies investigating it, so they simply palm it off to big pharma. The problem is no longer the govt's, the problem becomes ours. If we want to use whole plant therapy, we can't, it's illegal and at this point only the pharma crap will be legally available. To obtain the whole plant benefits the only way to do so is to be in breach of the law. Plain and simple. IMO

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

...... the Federal legislation was drawn up in order to facilitate the states being able to make their own med canna legislation, and that that Federal Bill dictates the boundaries within which the states can operate.

The states could always make their own laws allowing medical cannabis. In Qld for eg recent changes allow medical cannabis in all its forms including raw bud for vaporising. The fed Bill is just about the fed gov wanting to control the states and supply.

We never needed the fed cannabis Bill but when groups like MCUA, Mullaway, Hemp Embassy and so many others who the Australian community look to for information should have been fighting it they didn't. :thumbdown:   Instead they undertook big publicity drives to promote and tell everyone it was a good thing and the few who tried to fight against it such as this sites admin, the Medical Cannabis Advisory Group Qld, Cannabis Compassion Australia and a handful of others got dround out and never got heard over all their BS. The fed bill could have been stopped but it's law now grrrrrrr......and the fight got harder......but it is far from over.

:peace: MongyMan

• Upvote 1