Chili season is upon us

So August/September starts the seed sowing season for chilis and I think I am going to go a little heavy handed this season with varieties just so I can dry them and make up a variety of different and experimental chili powders. So the seeds I have to start this glorious season off with are your everyday garden variety Jalapeno, Red and Gold Cayenne, Orange Habanero, and the Serrano, some of the more common but not overly seen in Australia are the Trinidad Scorpion, Bhut Jolokia Chocolate (aka Chocolate Ghost Chili), Poblano, and Anaheim, then last but not least I will be getting some of the more Central and Southern American chilis a crack which are; Red Cherry, Pasilla Bajio, Puya, Hungarian Yellow Wax (not American), and Joe E. Parker (which is SE USA variety) 

• Upvote 1

I like chillies :D  I have a couple that are getting through winter but have pretty much pulled up for probably a month or so.  Love salsas myself.  So easy to make (so my sweetheart says lol ) the blends but I have only ever dried the serranos and cayennes.  $30/Kilo? No way for the monk :thumbsup: 

Faith :sun:

Did you get fruit from your winter grow? I have never had success with cold weather grows, chili flowers are very tempermental with temps, too hot and the flowers drop off, too cold and the they just halt. Some time ago I grew one indoors as a trial, also found out you cannot use MH to grow chili plants. Yes they will grow and they need the 16-18 hours of light that a veg room will provide, but they will not flower at all under MH as they need the red and orange spectrum from HPS to flower. Needless to say I got massive Tabasco plants, sizes I have never seen before, but it never flowered at all. Another reason the season starts next month as it gives the full summer sun to provide the blue spectrums it needs to grow and get thru the heat before flowers set in and come autumn (harvest time) the sun is providing the red/orange spectrum that it needs to flower and fruit before the first cold spell halts the fruit. 

Jalapenos are my dead set favorite, I know you can get them at any Coles or Safeway but that comes with a price tag that makes you shiver, as well as the turn over of the peppers are slow and freshness is not always up to scratch (even saw Woolies keep their moldy stock on the shelf with no further discount for end of days products). But for the Jalapeno I pick them 50/50 red and green and pickle them whole, I also smoke them to make my own Chipotles, and quick blanch and then stuff with a cheese mixture or meat and cheese mix, crumb them and store in the freezer for quick snack of poppers. I also am very fond of the Pablano, not a hot chili but the flavour is unique and intense, I use dry these bad boys to keep and use for a lot of sauces and Mexican style soups in the winter

• Upvote 1

Hey  nice work Monk

If you plat sum around xmas as a 2nd planting,  then in early May  ( depending on the season ) put one of those plastic tree guards around them, they will hang on

If your lucky youll be able to prune them back late winter & thell go again

Happy Gardening

• Upvote 1