Weird reason behind hair straightener theft

There has been a spate of thefts of hair straighteners at salons around Adelaide in recent months that have had many people thinking "WTF". Channel 7 Adelaide reckon they have solved the mystery.

(All I can find is a link to the video)

SOURCE: 7 news Adelaide

https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/31958382/thieves-stealing-hair-straighteners-to-make-cannabis/#page1

Had to check the date

to make sure it wasn't 1st April lol

...must be a very very very slow news week...

I know aye... Thing is this has actually been going on for months, people at work have been talking about it, "why the fuck hair salons??" Then there was the ram raid on one. I am a pot head and am somewhat aware of rosin but I didn't make that connection either. Its strange though, I wouldn't have thought there would be much of a blackmarket for rosin here but maybe i'm just out of the loop?? lol

I'm gonna call bullshit.  There's been a fashion trend amongst girls and women for hair straightening for a while now, I know cause I live in a house with 3 women and 5 hair straighteners.  And the ones they want aren't the cheaper ones sold at Kmart etc, but specific brands that are ridiculously priced for what they are. 

Now I know that if you want to make rosin, the high end ones are the best option, but this is just a case of someone putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with a sensationalised filler for the news. 

Just look at it logically, amongst our members, many of who grow their own and have a good supply as a result, how many of us go to the trouble of making rosin?  As a percentage it's small. 

To believe anyone is going to go to the time and expense of turning easily sold buds into rosin to sell on the black market is simply unbelievable, nobody sells hash or oils because the market won't pay what they're worth, so rosin would be no different. 

Which leaves buyers for personal use, of which it would be mainly younger smokers who would be up for stealing hair straighteners to make rosin cause they're too povo to buy one.  Most of these will already own a straightener, or have a girlfriend/sister etc who does, so if they want to make a bit of rosin for shits and giggles they would try with that first.  And even if they like it, they will figure out that it's easier and cheaper to just smoke the buds they already can't afford to buy, so why the fuck would they then go and steal a fancy straightener.

Maybe a small percentage end up being used for that purpose, but I'd bet my left nut that most of them end up on Ebay or in a pub parking lot, because people are paying good money for the high end ones.

But that's reality, and for a news story it's more boring than pointing at stoners and calling them theiving drug addled bastards.

Sorry hashy i would have to disagree, there is a big flow of ppl that are doing it now.

There is a AU face book page for rosin and they are gettin more members daily.

Compared to other ways of extraction it is the most easy to do all is needed is the hair dodad some baking paper and u can be extracting and smoking with in 5 mins.

In saying that i do know what the ladys r like with there hair toys, as bad as us lads with our smoking gear and toys so there would b a market there as well for the hot ones haha...

I'm gonna call bullshit.  There's been a fashion trend amongst girls and women for hair straightening for a while now, I know cause I live in a house with 3 women and 5 hair straighteners.  And the ones they want aren't the cheaper ones sold at Kmart etc, but specific brands that are ridiculously priced for what they are. 

Now I know that if you want to make rosin, the high end ones are the best option, but this is just a case of someone putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with a sensationalised filler for the news. 

Just look at it logically, amongst our members, many of who grow their own and have a good supply as a result, how many of us go to the trouble of making rosin?  As a percentage it's small. 

To believe anyone is going to go to the time and expense of turning easily sold buds into rosin to sell on the black market is simply unbelievable, nobody sells hash or oils because the market won't pay what they're worth, so rosin would be no different. 

Which leaves buyers for personal use, of which it would be mainly younger smokers who would be up for stealing hair straighteners to make rosin cause they're too povo to buy one.  Most of these will already own a straightener, or have a girlfriend/sister etc who does, so if they want to make a bit of rosin for shits and giggles they would try with that first.  And even if they like it, they will figure out that it's easier and cheaper to just smoke the buds they already can't afford to buy, so why the fuck would they then go and steal a fancy straightener.

Maybe a small percentage end up being used for that purpose, but I'd bet my left nut that most of them end up on Ebay or in a pub parking lot, because people are paying good money for the high end ones.

But that's reality, and for a news story it's more boring than pointing at stoners and calling them theiving drug addled bastards.

I know what your saying, it doesn't all add up to me either. Facts are though there has been a mysterious crime wave targeting hair straighteners from salons in Adelaide for a couple of months. Its literally got people scratching their heads... mind the pun  :doh:  Interestingly it started around outdoor harvest time. Maybe someone grew a huge crop and doesn't know what to do with it all? Who knows really.

Sorry hashy i would have to disagree, there is a big flow of ppl that are doing it now.

There is a AU face book page for rosin and they are gettin more members daily.

Compared to other ways of extraction it is the most easy to do all is needed is the hair dodad some baking paper and u can be extracting and smoking with in 5 mins.

In saying that i do know what the ladys r like with there hair toys, as bad as us lads with our smoking gear and toys so there would b a market there as well for the hot ones haha...

Didn't know that Ozzy, thanks for straightening me on that one lol, that's my lame joke for the day.

Still don't see it as a reason for targetted and systemic thefts though, a portion maybe but only a small one.  They are a compact device, in demand, with a value, makes them a good option for five finger discount retailers.  Also reckon if anyone was trying to make rosin on a commercial scale they would use something a lot larger than a hair straightener.