Will They Die!

Hi All

I have four plants, seedling really, that seemed to be doing fine until a couple of days ago.

I had germed them in doors and then potted them, kept them in a crib and then put them under my lights, 600 HPS at a good distance away. I ask the question about doing this and Ferengi420 said he does this all the time. So I thought I'd give it a go.

But then this started to happen...... :peace:

I've now put them under the CF again and back in the crib. They've been here for the past 24 hours and have not got any worse but don't seem to have got any better. Thou there's still signs of new growth.

Will they last? Or should I just start with my next set of seeds. And right these off! :scratchin

The pics are of two NL's, two White Widows (one has major leaf burn/yellowness) and the crib they are now in.

post-4292-1096026164_thumb.jpg

post-4292-1096026379_thumb.jpg

post-4292-1096026410_thumb.jpg

post-4292-1096026430_thumb.jpg

post-4292-1096026453_thumb.jpg

post-4292-1096026489_thumb.jpg

How much are you watering them? HPS realy makes some heat. This can dry the top of the soil but underneath is still damp. They don't like wet feet.

I am just guessing but i wouldn't give up yet. The one with the curling leaf looks like it's going through the wars though.

Edited by Medicineman

Since they have no roots to speak of you can check the medium by scraping the surface at the edge of the pot (don't keep this up as the roots spread they won't like it). I havn't used that medium before but i have used HPS and like i said it dries out the surface not the soil underneath.

Seedlings have tons of energy when they break out of the shell and for as long as the baby leaves are on they are still getting that energy, they still need moisture though. Think about how big they are they don't need much water and will use what is there slowly. when they get bigger they will drink it up but now as long as the medium isn't drying out underneath they will be fine. If the pots have those holes in the bottom and you can see the medium have a look there too.

I can't tell you how often to water but you know what good garden soil looks like, as long as the soil is not soaked or parched they should be fine, someone with better knowledge than me might tell you different. Just keep your eyes peeled in here.

Hey matey, I'd either get some shadecloth or something and wrap it across the shade of your light to take the bite out of the hps, or get them under compact flouros. Even a 400W light I find pushes it with seedlings, 250W is much more suited to young seedlings and clones. It's just too hot otherwise, and you can see that they're still stressing a little. They should recover nicely, just easy does it with the hps. It can turn a young plant into a crispy plant in the shortest time :peace:

As for how much to water....... You need to go by the dampness of your media really. Coco is like a sponge, and it holds a lot. So it depends on the conditions and how much perlite you got mixed in too. Use your better judgement :smoke

Goodluck mate, but I think they'll be fine

How much are you watering them? HPS realy makes some heat. This can dry the top of the soil but underneath is still damp. They don't like wet feet.

I find adding a layer of clayballs or a layer of pure perlite at the bottom of the pots helps ALLOT with making sure the bottom of the pot is drying out properly, as neighter of those retain much water ( I use clayballs as they contain the least)

MM not watering that much, got any advice for seedlings. How much etc. Their in coco and perlite

I tend to go buy around 200 ml each as they are developing and then building up as they grow, as for how often to water them you will find that untill you get somethign at the bootom of the pots you will only need to water every two days or otherwise your likely going to be building up allot of moisture at the bottom of the pots as mm pointed out the top dries allot faster than the bottom especially with that intense lighting on it

they should bouce back ok though

I almost always put seedlings and clones under my 600hps and have never had a problem.

You have to keep it further away than normal though, and I usually have mine around 80 cms away from the light.

the light can dry out the plants pretty quickly so you can use cloning wax to help, But i havent used it before.

Shadecloth is a good idea, as it diffuses the light some.

Also on my lights I have a light spreader so maybe this helps a bit.

The plants in question actually look more like Nutrient burn to me as its the tips that are suffering.

What soil do you use? and what ferts do you use??

Hey Guy's

The babies in question have now been under the Cf in the crib for about 48 hours. And they're coming round. The Curling one, not the really damaged one, has uncurled and is now smilin at the CF.

There's still a bit of drop on the NL's but not half as much as the other day.

Don't think I'll try the HPS for seedlings again. :scratchin

As for the advice, shade cloth etc. Cheers folks but don't wanna try this way!!!!! Again Don't want crispy fried MJ. But will kept it in mind for other stuff.

The watering will be kept an eye on and I was kinda using the rule of "How damp are they', will stick to the advice and not fuck around in the future with something I haven't done.

Least I have learnt from this. :peace:

As for nute burn, would be a bit difficult considering I haven't used any. Anyone got any advice on if I should give them something. Or when to start, Chev you have told me before mate, but wot about after this mistake?

Thx guy's without OS where would i be, Plantless and getting legless!!!!!!!!! :thumbdown

i have a simular problem atm but im growing in soil...

im fairly certain that its the heat that was getting to my babies from the hps so for the next few days im having the grow room open so its constantly getting cold air (raining outside atm)...

sounds like to me u might have the same sorta problem with the heat as they have come back under the CF a bit....

dont take my word tho, this is my first indoor grow :peace: