Absurdity in law change QLD give's cannabis the same status as her

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/queensland-cracks-down-on-cannabis-as-canada-moves-to-tax-legal-use-20160507-goouj1.html

Queensland government moves to give cannabis the same status as heroin and cocaine as the most dangerous drugs will push marijuana users onto harder drugs, according to a visiting Canadian advocate.

Dana Larsen, who operates cannabis dispensaries in Vancouver, will give a public talk on Sunday about Canada's new Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's plans to legalise and regulate cannabis use.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/content/dam/images/g/l/g/j/m/m/image.related.articleLeadwide.620x349.goouj1.png/1462632427046.jpgCannabis. Photo: Queensland Police Service

Mr Larsen said Queensland's move to equate cannabis with heroin, ecstasy and cocaine would push marijana users onto harder drugs.

"I'm all for harm reduction," he said. "I know a lot of people who use cannabis to stay off heroin, methadone and alcohol. Cannabis is a safer alternative."

The details of the new Canadian laws would be released later this year, he said.

"I'm hoping that it will include the right to grow a few plants for personal use," Mr Larsen said.

Attorney-General Yvette D'Ath recently flagged plans to implement the recommendation of Queensland Organised Crime Commissioner Michael Byrne to simplify drug laws so that they were all considered as dangerous as each other.

Mr Larsen, who has been agitating for legalisation all his adult life and uses cannabis for recreation and medical purposes, said the best way to protect children and keep society safe was to regulate its use, like alcohol and nicotine.

Even Canadian courts had participated in civil disobedience by refusing, since the 1990s, to enforce the full penalties of the law for selling, using and possessing cannabis.

"I've seen a lot of changes in public opinion over the years," Mr Larsen said.

"If they taxed it and regulated it then the extra taxes could being going to schools, roads and health care. Instead, it's going to organised crime and it's not being regulated or taxed."

The public talk on Sunday, 'Cannabis in Canada', was organised by the Queensland Council of Civil Liberties, SEQ Hemp Embassy and Medicinal Cannabis Users of Australia.

SEQ Hemp Embassy spokesman John Jiggens said police should target ice use which results in violence in society. Cannabis should be treated like alcohol or cigarettes, he said.

Canadian activists, Dana Larsen and Ajia Mae Moon, will speak at Kurilpa Hall, West End, May 8, 2-5pm.

• Upvote 1

It has my vote loud and proud ! Correct legislation decriminalization would be a start, people with illnesses that can benefit from mother nature's medicine should be allowed to make their own choice on what they use for pain management without the fear of the law bring it down on them, lets face it they have enough going on!