My Cactii!

Hi guy's.

I have got a collection of cactii which has been given to me over the years,i have not got my digital camera yet,so i am not able to show ya's any pic's unfortunately!

One of them has this coton type stufff on the top of it and it has the most nicest orange flower,another look's like a vicious golf ball,and i got's one of them brainy looking one's,plus some other's that i will not bore you with!

I do have a q though,how often should they get watered?

My wife and i are alway's blueing about this issue,any advice will be VERY appreciated.

Peace.

Hey Novice,

MANY people over water their cacti and it's the most common way of people killing your cacti , personaly I water mine rougly every month or so in summer, autum and spring and I don't water at all during the winter, cacti store water for months so if you belive at all that it is being over watered then just be safe and cut it back imo.

Hi there,

yes it is true many people over water their cacti, it is also true that many people underwater cacti. Because cacti do not have conventional leaves which droop when their cells are inflated or deflated with water, the only judgement we have on cacti is what the medium feels like. A good knowledge of the species in questions helps too - natural habitat rainfall for example.

One problem I have found with container cacti kept indoors is that, when winter temps come and watering is discontinued the soil often cakes together and when watering is resumed in spring most of the water runs down the side of the pot leaving the root system high n dry. To compensate for this I let them sit in tray of water reaching quite high up the pot for a good 30 minutes.

With a lot of cacti species in the growing season they can be watered like regular houseplants, cacti enjoy a good soaking when the soil becomes dry so don't be shy. However if you don't have a medium with good drainage your cacti will get prolonged wet feet and root rot can set in -its a fine balance which will come to you.

PG

Edited by Psychedelic Gecko

Hi all, my cacti is watered weekly in the hot summer and never in winter.

During winter i water once every 2 months for the indoor ones and the outdoors, well they look after themselves - <_<

Best growth for most cacti is full sunlight, but beware of taking them into the hot sun after they’ve been indoors for a while, they sunburn!

When in doubt let nature have its way!