Growing out in the open

Hi all,

A quick introduction, I've been growing my own for more than 20 years (I'm 50, if that helps, an old fart) and I'd like to discuss my experiences with other growers. Experienced or not, it doesn't matter. After all, I take it, with this forum, we're all here to help?

I like to grow my plants out in the open.

That's to say, they are not hidden. They grow in my garden amongst other things, fruit vegetables etc.

I don't have high fences or screens, although I do live in an urban part of a rural town, I don't live in a city. Yet the plants are always visible to anybody who cares to look, from within or without.

I've proven to myself over those years that it is possible to successfully grow out in the open. Or maybe people really don't care, maybe they don't know what they're looking at?

Would anybody like to discuss?

Sounds like you're doing something right. I remember back in the day before indoor maybe 19 out of 20 attempts by people growing in their backyard got ripped.

Be great if you posted some pix of your garden. I'm assuming you're either just about to or have just harvested? Have you been in the same place all along?

I grow in my backyard and im in the burbs of melb.. you cant see mine unless you look from over the neighbours fence but mine are cool theyre all hippies :)

It is always a blessing when you have good neighbours. I only ever had 1 that questioned what I was doing.

He didn't agree with it, but never brought it up again.

One other neighbour asked if he could have some, gave him an ounce and all was sweet.

Sounds like you're doing something right. I remember back in the day before indoor maybe 19 out of 20 attempts by people growing in their backyard got ripped.

Be great if you posted some pix of your garden. I'm assuming you're either just about to or have just harvested? Have you been in the same place all along?

What I think I'm doing right is not being a dickhead. I'm a strong believer that if you are not profiting and not doing things to attract attention, then you will be left alone.

So far that's the truth.

I've never been ripped, but I have always been generous and given herbs to those that need it. Whether they had a poor grow, seeds didn't germ or whatever. Every person should have access to good quality, free herbs.

Haven't harvested yet, another couple of weeks or so. I will post up some pics soon.

No I haven't always been in the same place, I've grown on 3 different properties over the time and across 2 states, the biggest being 1 acre with lots of neighbours.

Cheers