First timer (yep newbie)

hey dudes, 

first timer of a grow sick of the crud around,so i though id try my own smoke.

i didn't really care how large it would turn out just wanted to experience something better that a cash crop that is mostly crud!! 

she is going well i am pretty stoked to be fair!

i was reading that there can be a second round of growth for flowing second pistils? 

and in a book i have it says

1/3 of the pistils have changed colour - for more of a high, or

3/4 of the pistils have changed colour - for heavier smoke

and to be honest i am unsure if its the process of a 2nd round stage of flowering or if thats it?

unsure of the weeks ahead before she is ready! 2-3 weeks??

was hoping for some on advice i also have stopped feeding it (worm juice and sea weed mix a bit of a sprinkle of some fire ash also!)

post-58041-0-91084900-1459137475_thumb.jpg

post-58041-0-13958600-1459137487_thumb.jpg

post-58041-0-27119400-1459137493_thumb.jpg

post-58041-0-26193200-1459137497_thumb.jpg

Hey Yepyp,

OK, So I grow indoors, and circumstances are a bit different to outdoor but I allow my plant to go thru this browning of the hairs 3 times. Those white hairs are starting to brown now (looking at your pics), but they aren't all brown. Here's what I do. Once they all brown off the hairs will dry up and disappear altogether. But inside the bud new hairs will be developing, then burst out and again go brown. Each time this occurs the bud swells from within and the resulting smoke is WELL worth it imo.

BUT and this is a big BUT, You state that you have stopped feeding, by doing this the plant is using up its own resources to continue to survive. To now try and leave the plant to go thru the 3 brownings you are more likely to stress the daylights outta the plant and thus cause more harm than good. Personally I wouldn't be reintroducing full strength nutes as it can take a couple of weeks for the plant to build up its reserves to an adequate/usable level. From my point of view, if, as you state, you've started the finishing process I would continue with the finishing. Flush the plants with lots of fresh water, this will reduce the amount of salts built up in the plants system and make the resulting smoke a way less harsh, after flushing I'd chop and hang to dry and harvest.

Hope it helps

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

Hey Yepyp,

OK, So I grow indoors, and circumstances are a bit different to outdoor but I allow my plant to go thru this browning of the hairs 3 times. Those white hairs are starting to brown now (looking at your pics), but they aren't all brown. Here's what I do. Once they all brown off the hairs will dry up and disappear altogether. But inside the bud new hairs will be developing, then burst out and again go brown. Each time this occurs the bud swells from within and the resulting smoke is WELL worth it imo.

BUT and this is a big BUT, You state that you have stopped feeding, by doing this the plant is using up its own resources to continue to survive. To now try and leave the plant to go thru the 3 brownings you are more likely to stress the daylights outta the plant and thus cause more harm than good. Personally I wouldn't be reintroducing full strength nutes as it can take a couple of weeks for the plant to build up its reserves to an adequate/usable level. From my point of view, if, as you state, you've started the finishing process I would continue with the finishing. Flush the plants with lots of fresh water, this will reduce the amount of salts built up in the plants system and make the resulting smoke a way less harsh, after flushing I'd chop and hang to dry and harvest.

Hope it helps

Merl1n

sweet as cheers dude! its not on a pot its straight in the soil i haven't watered it for 2 days the last time i did i did it with seaweed so it should be okay to continue feeding it id assume caz the soil would be full of nut?

i haven't started flushing it yet!

still waiting on those hairs to change to brown a fair bit hey?

cheers yo!!

Looks to be doing quite well, and at a rough guess I'd say another 3-4 weeks, but there can be a lot of variation from strain to strain.

I'm also a fan of Merl1n's 3rd browning off approach, but I do use loupe and judge harvest based on the colour of the trichome's instead, just so happens that it often coincides with the 3rd browning off, but I've had some get there much earlier.  But if you don't have a loupe, let her brown off, wait for round 2 to brown off, and straight water after that for a week or so should get you about right.  Flushing is more a hydro thing, but certainly doesn't hurt in soil either, especially if you've been adding ferts.

And Merl1n, it's great to see you back on the boards again :thumbsup:

awesome! okay cheers for the replies fellas! well appreciated!

keen as beans for it to be ready to taste something so much nicer ahah!

some of the leaves are slowly dying and changing colour assuming its not far at all if thats the case? although i can see the second faze happening now its getting fatter and browner looks as if the second pistils are coming through!

Cheers Merl1n & Sir PsychoHashy :)

post-58041-0-12004900-1459226206_thumb.jpg

post-58041-0-78036900-1459226215_thumb.jpg