Cannabutter in caps?

Razz0r

Question

Hi All, 

My girlfriend suffers from major headaches due to a small tumor. Her hands shake heaps now when she starts to get them. 

From the cannabutter of course I have made many things but she hates being stoned. One day thinking about the temps that I use for the cannabutter, 

I figured most of the THCA was still there and not converted to THC as that would happen in the cooking process. 

So we have been trying just the butter in caps. The butter has been made from trash, so leaf and steam mainly with bud trimmings and small budlets. 

Its working wonders!! Getting rid of the headaches and even bringing back her sex drive! (YAY for me lol) but also stops her hands from shaking. 

Could one assume that I'd be capturing CBD, CBN and others in the process to make the butter (Lous method)? 

This is how they end up - can't taste the canna even with it being green - washed it 4 times and the water was crystal clear on the last run. 

post-46252-0-31165800-1455611233_thumb.jpg

Edited by Razz0r
  • Upvote 1

Found this tonight... the water method is number 3 used - it explains it http://www.hightimes.com/read/ultimate-cannabutter-experiment-results

"The Water-Simmered Cannabutter performed much better in Batch B than it did in the first trial, which is the only anomaly observed so far. The concentration of THC was 5.42 mg/g, the highest of any cannabutter in this batch, even though a decent bit of THCa was still present, about 1.12 mg/g. Analysis from Steep Hill confirmed this anomaly, leading me to wonder if this method works better for salvaging THC from low-potency trim."

In the tests - the water method (that I use) leaves behind the most THCa and also CBN

This might explain why its working?

low THC % but high THCa % and higher CBN \ CBD levels due to no decarb... 

thoughts? 

Edited by Razz0r

Hey Razz,

Being a fellow headache sufferer, this is something I've done a bit of research on. ANYTHING to reduce or help, I don't care what it is, I'm willing to give it a try. And I have. For me I have found a combination of canna and pharma crap works best. But for me it depends on the type of headache/symptoms to what works best for me. I have a mix of smokes and forms (hash, oil, tincture, smoke) so it depends on how I'm effected and where I am to what I consume.

There are quite a few variables to what you are asking. It seems to depend a fair bit on the processes you put the canna through and the substance used for absorption of the active ingredient. For example the process of decarboxylation occurs with heat. Now when I make butter I heat the butter with the canna. This would start the decarb processs. So that's without the actual cooking of the cookies.

You speak of using butter, but the cannabinoids can also be absorbed by other oils such as olive oil and depending on the oil used can also depend on which cannabinoid are captured. Temperatures are another part of the process as once the temp is raised process start working on the cannabinoids. Here's a link that may explain it all a bit better than me

http://landprofile.com/p/Salve.pdf

Hope it helps

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

Hey Razz,

Being a fellow headache sufferer, this is something I've done a bit of research on. ANYTHING to reduce or help, I don't care what it is, I'm willing to give it a try. And I have. For me I have found a combination of canna and pharma crap works best. But for me it depends on the type of headache/symptoms to what works best for me. I have a mix of smokes and forms (hash, oil, tincture, smoke) so it depends on how I'm effected and where I am to what I consume.

There are quite a few variables to what you are asking. It seems to depend a fair bit on the processes you put the canna through and the substance used for absorption of the active ingredient. For example the process of decarboxylation occurs with heat. Now when I make butter I heat the butter with the canna. This would start the decarb processs. So that's without the actual cooking of the cookies.

You speak of using butter, but the cannabinoids can also be absorbed by other oils such as olive oil and depending on the oil used can also depend on which cannabinoid are captured. Temperatures are another part of the process as once the temp is raised process start working on the cannabinoids. Here's a link that may explain it all a bit better than me

http://landprofile.com/p/Salve.pdf

Hope it helps

Merl1n

Thanks heaps for the info mate :) it all helps in the end right? 

With making the butter and temps - using lou's method from here I think the butter doesn't go above 80c ish maybe 90c ish .. from memory its mentioned to decarb before making it but I dont do that. 

The link I posted above where they tested the different ways to make butter kinda explained why its not so potent until I use it in cooking too. 

I'll be having a very good read up on that link Merlin, thank you once again :) 

Are you sure you have interpreted the figures correctly?

There is almost 5 times the amount of THC to THCa in the sample they tested.

it was compared to another batch they did using the same and different methods. this is what I should have posted.. 

The Water-Simmered Cannabutter returned a high yield, but left much THCa remaining. Adding a toasting step to decarb your cannabis before simmering in the water could change that result. Likewise, it seems the Bioavailable Cannabutter method could benefit from slightly higher temperatures in the oven and a longer toasting step to thoroughly decarb the cannabis.

The lower the temps for processing the less decarbing you will get, same for how long you simmer away for.  But going on what you did there should still be a bit of decarbed THC (I think that's THC delta 9 vs THC A?), so it should still be somewhat psychoactive, so if she doesn't like being stoned it might be worth being careful with dosage.  I don't pre cook material for oil infusions, but just use hash in coconut oil on a double boiler for an hour or 2, and that's enough to still knock me on my arse.

One that I do sometimes is to just dump some (much more than what I would vape) unpressed hash in a cappucino and give it a good stir after a minute or 2.  Now there's fats in the milk for the cannabinoids to bond to, and there's some heat but not enough to really decarb sweet fuck all.  I find this gives some relaxation and analgaesic effect, and can be a bit sedative without giving a high, but even this can give a bit of a buzz after a while, with some strains doing it more than others.  So take care with any new batch you make up for her.

Cold pressed tinctures or oil infusions may be worth an experiment for her as well.  I've been meaning to try those myself but haven't gotten around to it yet, so if you do, could you please let us know how it goes?  No idea what it is, but juicing is a term I've heard bandied about as well, and I know some people will eat raw buds or hash as well, so there's plenty of options for her to experiment with.

• Upvote 1

The lower the temps for processing the less decarbing you will get, same for how long you simmer away for.  But going on what you did there should still be a bit of decarbed THC (I think that's THC delta 9 vs THC A?), so it should still be somewhat psychoactive, so if she doesn't like being stoned it might be worth being careful with dosage.  I don't pre cook material for oil infusions, but just use hash in coconut oil on a double boiler for an hour or 2, and that's enough to still knock me on my arse.

One that I do sometimes is to just dump some (much more than what I would vape) unpressed hash in a cappucino and give it a good stir after a minute or 2.  Now there's fats in the milk for the cannabinoids to bond to, and there's some heat but not enough to really decarb sweet fuck all.  I find this gives some relaxation and analgaesic effect, and can be a bit sedative without giving a high, but even this can give a bit of a buzz after a while, with some strains doing it more than others.  So take care with any new batch you make up for her.

Cold pressed tinctures or oil infusions may be worth an experiment for her as well.  I've been meaning to try those myself but haven't gotten around to it yet, so if you do, could you please let us know how it goes?  No idea what it is, but juicing is a term I've heard bandied about as well, and I know some people will eat raw buds or hash as well, so there's plenty of options for her to experiment with.

Thanks for the reply Hashy,

I am working on learning other methods for such experiments... Merlin above posted an awesome pdf "Cannabis Processing for THC, CBD & Terpenes" - but just because I do some major IT crap for a job doesn't mean I understand all the chemistry side for this and I am rapidly learning it :) 

With the current caps I check how much weight is going in to them - can do about 1-1.5g of butter per cap. Knowing this when then track how much she drops, the effects and how long it lasts and how much it helps. 

As I mentioned - this batch is from Berry bomb and Skunk #1 trash and seems to be one of the best yet. 

We tried juicing - and it worked, her hands stopped shaking and headache kinda went away... but her guts dont like the raw leaf and gave her an upset tummy - tried about 3 strains and got the same each time. The butter so far has worked the best. 

And of course - when I go down the path of Cold pressed tinctures or other oils I'll be sure to let you know how it goes... because I'll probly need some assistance with understanding some of it I am sure ;)