Pot size? Random general question

A quick question I have related to growing from seed after discussing with a mate the other night. How much does the size of the pot the plant is growing in affect the plant. Will an undersized pot kill the plant? Can you shorten the height of a plant with a smaller pot?

As an example. Seeds currently being germinated and grown in 500ml party cups. If they weren't transplanted to 6lt+ containers and kept in the 500ml cups, what would happen? Would you need to keep them at a maintained height yourself?

What would happen on multiple levels? So say at growing an entire plant in 500ml, 1ltr, 2ltr, 5ltr containers. 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Size12Volleys

Check my current grow, that's exactly what I'm doing they are staying in those cups for good, as you can see I've put holes all around so it should act like an air pot, air trimming the roots as they grow.

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/73709-the-stoned-jesters-400w-drobe-grow/page-19

Plants can become root locked and all kinds of nasty stuff happens if the pot isn't big enough or not enough drainage.

Edited by The Stoned Jester
  • Upvote 1

The main effect I have noticed from small pots is the branches won't grow out very much. I have had plants well over a foot tall in 40mm rockwool cubes. They tend to drop the lower branches or the lower branches become very stunted if you let them grow that tall in too small a pot.

Different plants will react differently too. I have one phenotype of Cheeseberry at the moment that is growing tall and branching out well in quite a small pot

Check my current grow, that's exactly what I'm doing they are staying in those cups for good, as you can see I've put holes all around so it should act like an air pot, air trimming the roots as they grow.

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/73709-the-stoned-jesters-400w-drobe-grow/page-19

Plants can become root locked and all kinds of nasty stuff happens if the pot isn't big enough or not enough drainage.

Cheers. Well I have close to 100 of one particular seed so I might try a few different things out and see how they add up for my situation. So if I were to put holes in the cups and keep trimming the roots that appear, I could do entire grows in said cups? That's awesome news.

The main effect I have noticed from small pots is the branches won't grow out very much. I have had plants well over a foot tall in 40mm rockwool cubes. They tend to drop the lower branches or the lower branches become very stunted if you let them grow that tall in too small a pot.

Different plants will react differently too. I have one phenotype of Cheeseberry at the moment that is growing tall and branching out well in quite a small pot

Would topping the plants be a bad idea at any time? Maybe to stunt growth somewhat and try and entice lower branches to grow out a little more. Or could possibly even the lower branches be used for cloning purposes later in the grow?

Edited by Size12Volleys

Unless you want to grow all those plants to see what phenotypes there are for breeding you would be better off growing a smaller number of plants and giving them the size pots they require.

I only plan on keeping possibly 4 of which I have larger pots ready to go once they grow a little more. The rest are purely for "to see what happens" with different situations. As in I'll practice transplanting a few to see if I can keep them alive etc. 

I'll ask a few more questions in my grow diary in relation to the bigger pots just to keep this thread clean.

(https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/75851-my-first-from-scratch-attempt/)

Cheers for the tip!

Edited by Size12Volleys