days over 12hrs but plants still flower? North Qld

hey, i posted something similar to this a few months back, buts just want to reword my question...

anyone that grows indoors to veg then outdoors to flower all year round in North Qld.?

our longest day where i am only has 13 hrs 15mins.

do plants still always flower with this much light?

wondering if its possible in north qld to just veg for anout 5/6 weeks under cfl then flower outdoors, ANYTIME of the year? will sativas veg lomger than indica?

i keep hearing of people growing all year around here, but from my recent experience having rhe day length at about 12 hrs 30 already, the girls go straight into flower and font seem that they will ever keep vegging.

if that all makes sense.

would be nice to hear from an experienced grower that lives in this.part of Aus ;)

cheers

Hey qwobbler.

I can't see that this is correct unless this person /people are growing autos as most photo plants will flower with 12-14 hours of day light.

I'm currently trying exactly that, vegging in my fridge then moving outside to flower. So far, to date my plants are still in flower as here in seq we are getting about the same day light hours (13ish). I'm keeping a very close eye on them for any reveg looking leaves, nothing yet but once the days do get longer I will cover the plants with a large box to restrict the light to keep them in flower.

Bit of an experiment for me and sofar so good.

If you want to keep them vegging outside do the opposite, use some lighting (fluoro/solar) to extender their light hours until the days are long enough to do it naturally. :) I know a few gorilla growers that use the little solar powered garden lights out bush through winter to do this and just remove them once they've vegged enough.

All the best

hey, i posted something similar to this a few months back, buts just want to reword my question...

anyone that grows indoors to veg then outdoors to flower all year round in North Qld.?

our longest day where i am only has 13 hrs 15mins.

do plants still always flower with this much light?

wondering if its possible in north qld to just veg for anout 5/6 weeks under cfl then flower outdoors, ANYTIME of the year? will sativas veg lomger than indica?

i keep hearing of people growing all year around here, but from my recent experience having rhe day length at about 12 hrs 30 already, the girls go straight into flower and font seem that they will ever keep vegging.

if that all makes sense.

would be nice to hear from an experienced grower that lives in this.part of Aus ;)

cheers

How many cfl hours where they under B4 heading outdoors to 12:30hrs

100% indi can flower with 14:30hrs day light sativas closer to 12hrs

cannabis plants are triggered by length of dark hours not light  

sorry mate not from Qld , 

Hey qwobbler.

I can't see that this is correct unless this person /people are growing autos as most photo plants will flower with 12-14 hours of day light.

I'm currently trying exactly that, vegging in my fridge then moving outside to flower. So far, to date my plants are still in flower as here in seq we are getting about the same day light hours (13ish). I'm keeping a very close eye on them for any reveg looking leaves, nothing yet but once the days do get longer I will cover the plants with a large box to restrict the light to keep them in flower.

If you want to keep them vegging outside do the opposite, use some lighting (fluoro/solar) to extender their light hours until the days are long enough to do it naturally. :) I know a few gorilla growers that use the little solar powered garden lights out bush through winter to do this and just remove them once they've vegged enough.

All the best

Hey there Cap

You prob need to be looking for the girl to stall / stop growing / doing anything , this would be first sign of starting re-veg 

otherwise you would be seeing pretty consistent growth 

if your seeing single leaves she has stalled waited then re-vegged , yield is now compromised ( depending on how long you continue to allour re-veg to take place ) 

I know this cos i've just been though 2 in a row indoor light leaks the second picked up allot sooner by noticing she had stalled but yield 

in both cases is some what lost even though your trying to continue to finish by light dep , just a FWIW

Edited by itchybromusic

How many cfl hours where they under B4 heading outdoors to 12:30hrs

100% indi can flower with 14:30hrs day light sativas closer to 12hrs

cannabis plants are triggered by length of dark hours not light  

sorry mate not from Qld , 

Hey mate, they were under 18/6..... They are hybrids, so maybe Indica Dom then.... Because you are right, the Sativa's are in full veg :D think they gonna do the full season! Thai Landrace Sativa ;)

I wish there was sativa dom that couch locked me and not give me the racey high :-/ im perky enough :P

• Upvote 1

Hey qwobbler.

All the best

cheers for that info man, keep us posted on what happens.

really? a solar light keeps them in vege?

Hey Q.

Will do :)

Yeah man, not the little path light type of solars, but the more spot light type. One mate that's a bush grower (doesn't frequent these pages) swears by them and SirPsychohashy has used them inland to keep a couple of girls vegging once the days were getting shorter. Have a look through his diary. You have to use a few of them dotted around the plant. :thumbsup: if you have the plants close to home or an outside building and it's feasible you could also have an outside flood light directed at it/them for a few extra hours :)

Cheers Itchy. I'll be keeping a close eye on any changes to growth too. I had a light leak issue a few grows back so know what the reveg leaves look like but I'll be watching for stalling closely now. Thanks.

This problem first reared it's ugly head for me 2 seasons ago, had one indi dom plant refuse to reveg until late Dec, and then go back into flower 5 weeks later.  I have theories, but not much in the way of knowledge.

Indica doms in particular seem to like to go into flower with less than 12 hrs darkness, but I think there's more to it than that.  Put out too early (early Sept) I had Affies go into flower, but the light/dark hrs were still fairly balanced here by the time they reached sexual maturity, generally 3-4 weeks, so that's easily explained.  Those Affies were the 1st time I used the solar spotlights, 3/plant mounted on sticks so they were shining down from above.  Other prob I've found is taking plants from 18/6 and putting them outside seems to be enough to trigger the release of flowering hormones in some, but not all, plants, even if the outside light hrs are around 14/10 in some cases, particularly with clones taken from a revegged mum, or a plant that has been briefly put into flower for sexing etc.  In other words, if the plant has been in flower cycle at a previous point, even briefly, they seem to tend to want to go back with only the slightest excuse.

My understanding of sativas, particularly tropical strains, is that they prefer a flower cycle with less light hrs than indicas, so the Thai's should be good if they haven't been put out too early, with the added advantage of being able to continue flowering nice and long up there in the tropics without getting hammered by frosts.

My theory, that I partially tried last season, was to start them under lights at 14.5/9.5 so there was little difference when I put them out mid-late October.  Seemed to work out, whereas the one plant which had been in flower (long story) just kept going back in, even into December from memory, unless I left the spotties running on her, 2nd plant of same strain was fine. 

Using the spotties in a private space is fine, but in a guerilla grow it causes max paranoia overload, so I can only sorta recommend it, but they do work.

As for flowering year round in the tropics, would likely work out with some strains.  I'd either run 18/6 or 20/4 for indoor veg and hope the sudden change triggered it, or possibly even trigger flowering under lights just to be sure.  My understanding is that your days never get overly long even in mid summer, so it might be worth a crack, we get around 16/8 here if you include twilight times, so it just doesn't work out.  Not sure if you'd want indi doms flowering during monsoon season though.