How much does pot size help with keeping plants small?

Hey Jester. 

I can only comment from what I have done so far which as you know aint much compared to others.

And from what I have read. 

As you know I use coco as soil failed big time for me and made it harder know what was wrong when something wasnt right. 

With coco I can do small pots and use multi feed to give them the feed they need via drippers. like 5 times a day now approx 3lt per feed. This helps ensure run off and give the plant what it needs. If you tried that in soil it would just be water logged and over watered. 

to give an idea. my current autos in an 8lt pot with 3 incb of cyal balls in the bottom and about 5lt of coco then some clay balls on top. 5lt coco if that really. probly more like 4 lt. 

But with the dripper feed it hasnt had any issues with the small pot size or medium size. but then early tie down helpped streach and kept it short too. 

my PT on the other hand is in the same pot with about 7lt of coco tied down as well but still streaching. wish I had given it a bigger pot now but the multi feed is making up for it and flowers are getting bigger every day! 

So yes a small pot will help control the height. but if it needs more room you could end up with issue in soil. go scrog or just tie it down as it grows? 

Edited by Razz0r

If I have no choice but to continue using the same pot I'll take the plant out and gently slap the coco going all around to try to prevent the built up side falling off with the roots still attached which has happened to me in the past.  Once I feel as though removing any more coco would be start to risk causing more harm than good I clump the root ball together and put the plant back in the pot and water it in with a good feed.  Some plants get a bit riled up over it but the vast majority take it with gusto and the ones that don't tend to get over it in a day or two when the roots realize there's room to grow.

I think it's worth going to that effort even if it does stress them a bit because that extra legroom really does seem to make a difference to the plants.  The leaves get bigger, they branch out a little more, grow a bit faster, etc. but it's only something I would do on a plant in vege because I can't imagine really stressing the roots of a flowering plant would have any positive effect on it at all.

Hey Jester, another forum has a competition to see who can grow the best plant in a beer cup. What they tend to do is drill holes all over the side of the cup. The idea being that as the roots hit the holes they are "air pruned". Thus, reducing the chance of root rot. I have not tried it, but there are some pretty cool plants grown in very small containers.
  • Upvote 3

Hey Jester, another forum has a competition to see who can grow the best plant in a beer cup. What they tend to do is drill holes all over the side of the cup. The idea being that as the roots hit the holes they are "air pruned". Thus, reducing the chance of root rot. I have not tried it, but there are some pretty cool plants grown in very small containers.

Link? If allowed :)

I think that happened here years ago. Not a beer cup, just a small pot. 4" I think. Can't find the post but I'm sure someone else will know of the said comp... Fun

Edited by cap'n yNg