latest possible harvest?

This is my first grow, bagseed. Started very late in the season (mid January) knowing yields wouldn't be good. The plant is budding in a greenhouse, and outside temperatures now are as low as -2 and as high as 20 (inland NSW near the snowies). Buds are light and fluffy and not very developed.

This grow was a bit of an experiment, but I'm still hoping to get something out of it. Should I harvest now, or is there room in the season for extra growth before things get too grim? What is the lowest temperature Cannabis can flower at?

My understanding is that plants can handle low temperatures although not repeated frosts [which may kill the plant].

The main concern would be bud rot but if the buds are light and fluffy then this may not be an issue for you.

Where I am [north west Vic] we have average max of 18 and average min of 6 at the moment and I still have one plant going strong outside.  She has quite dense buds but has surprised me that she has not succumbed to rot given the many rain events and heavy dews we've had of late.  The liklihood of rot can be reduced by shaking the excess water off the plant after rain or covering with a tarp when rain expected.

We are on the flat plains of the Mallee though, quite different to the mountains no doubt.

Does the plant look ready, some pics are always good?

Hey B4weed

I started one in March here in SA. I took a look at your pic and I would leave it...you may not get a heap of bud so you may as well let it mature. The reason I say leave it is because the pistils appear to still be white and also the plant doesn't seem to be using up the leaves yet. How many hrs sunlight is she getting? If you check out the link to my current trench grow you will see the pics of my March plants that have been in flower about 42 days so still got at least another 4-5 weeks. How long has yours been in flower?  Good luck

Thanks Max. It's getting around 10 hours of Sun. It started flowering sometime in April, so 7 weeks max but probably closer to 5.

I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it and hope it doesn't get too cold. I figure if it snows I'm fucked, which means it should be okay until end June.

I've grown through the winter in an unheated greenhouse, doesn't get quite as cold as your location... but close to it. The plant looks to be doing what I would expect during the cold weather... not a lot, but it will keep flowering... slowly.

It will never fill out the way summer grown buds do but each of the calyxes that mature will be resin coated and smoke up quite well. I'd keep going until the plant stops producing new white pistils, the longer you leave it the more resin there will be :D

• Upvote 2

I've had a couple keep going late in the season with temps as low as -2, and it was worth it to get them to maturity.  I'm further north than you, but inland as well, and we get frosts and neg temps from early May.  They won't pack on quite as much weight and density, and they may even slow down on maturation rates a little, but it is worth persevering as long as the plants aren't getting damaged by frost etc.  Upside is a good chance of some really nice colouration in your buds.  Should be ok in a greenhouse as well, in theory.  Good luck