Fungus gnat Help!

Hi all so i am growing in coco using the blumat drip feed system, my last grow i had an outbreak of fungas gnats that i couldnt seem to shake i tried neem oil, kill-a-mite (supposed to be good for fungas gnats too) and also tried tanlin along with alot of other bunnings products. all no luck. i've just started noticing a few adults flying around in my new grow and need some help how to stop these things before it gets out of hand. any help would be great thanks

louie

let your soil dry out more in between feeds, maybe have to stop the auto blumats for a while and manually control the amount of water, as i think they like damp soil.

Or i think you can put down a layer of clayballs / perlite / finely ground eggshells on top of the medium

also possible try some sticky fly traps.

Edited by The Stoned Jester
  • Upvote 2

gday mate i have battled these fellas for months. they are as tough as the anzacs were at gallipoli.

.forget about the clay balls mate the buggers seem  to love resting on them and sun baking i think they hold the warmth i have tried it. the only one i have not ried is the course sand.

but yeah jester is right the only way to get rid of them is let the medium dry out before watering, and a crap load of perlite or something to make the coco nice and loamy so it drains easily.

from my battles with these babies you need to put out a heap of these yellow sticky traps from bunnings for a few days let  your medium dry for a few days also then you need to do a drench, i just used alsystin 250 larvicide made by bayer. i did it on friday also got a folage spray of pyrithium from bunnings yellow bottle made by yates that should kill the adults while the alsystin kills the larvae. but you have to repeat it 5 days after ok mate to make sure you break the breeding cycle. i reccommend doing asap the buggers are tough to beat

thanks for your help guys i got some stuff called scarid10 just used it as a top drench i have repeated every 5 days and it seams to have worked. i was pretty worried for awhile there they are really hard to get rid of. if i see them lurking around again i will give your way a go way to grow cheers mate

Hi mate I also use blumats and cover the top of my coco with a 25mm layer of loose volcanic rock gravel and pierlight mixture, never had a gnat even interested. The drippers do their thing under the gravel layer and the gravel lets the air penetrate. Try it you will never have a gnat problem again and no chemicals needed.

Tangwena