Help - Maybe Too Late!

Growing in potting mix/composted cow manure/perlite 430ml pot

Outdoors sun in VERY tropical heat (pot wrapped in cardboard ‘blanket’ during the day for some insulation)

27 days into flower (cloned mid October – had a setback when younger but bounced back well)

This girl had been going gang busters (well at my level anyways!!) until only the weekend when she started to rapidly show signs of leaf yellowing lower down – didn’t worry too much until a few days ago when suddenly the whole plant is yellowing fast, and leafs are limp, droopy & lifeless.

I did have an issue with the top of one cola developing what I presumed to be ‘bud rot’ mid last week, but I chopped that off and appear to have contained it to just that area (marked RED in pics)

FWIW – pH pretty stable during grow in the high 6’s – fell to low 6 late Feb which I put down to feeds with Miracle Grow Maxfeed Flower & Bloom and some Rose Fertiliser (RichGro I think?). Got it back up to high 6 again with plain rainwater watering.

I’d planned to let her run another 5/6 weeks – she’s nowhere near ready to chop, but I’m starting to panic as she appears to be sliding downhill fast.

This appears similar to the issue I had with her mother in late October last year - she was a VERY healthy looking plant just about ready to throw into flower when out of the blue fell over & died within a week - very quick deterioration. When I pulled the stem/roots it appeared that the root ball had 'stewed' - ever since then I've been trying to shield the pots from the sun.

(Last pick is the rest of the clan - all still in veg - that sit right alongside the sick one - and some in smaller pots that I would thick would get even hotter? - They're all going well??)

First pic is the most recent I've got till this morning - taken just before commencing flowering early FEB. Last pic is the rest of the gang - all looking OK and under exactly the same conditions.

Any advise/ideas welcome (I'd particularly like to hear from anyone else growing in extreme tropics where we get smashed by heat/humidity this time of year and if they encounter anything similar??)

post-54525-0-34047300-1426045686_thumb.jpg

post-54525-0-73958000-1426045721_thumb.jpg

post-54525-0-32604700-1426045736_thumb.jpg

post-54525-0-69898900-1426045746_thumb.jpg

post-54525-0-47354600-1426045757_thumb.jpg

post-54525-0-87878000-1426045766_thumb.jpg

post-54525-0-34549300-1426045779_thumb.jpg

post-54525-0-00036800-1426045795_thumb.jpg

post-54525-0-86505800-1426045812_thumb.jpg

post-54525-0-66293100-1426045823_thumb.jpg

post-54525-0-38505300-1426045833_thumb.jpg

post-54525-0-75328500-1426045843_thumb.jpg

post-54525-0-27431900-1426045854_thumb.jpg

post-54525-0-56521500-1426045939_thumb.jpg

questions

Bugs

what are you seeing flying around... anything?

are there Cycads in your garden?- they attract a moth that loves canna

Food

some plant strains need extra nutrients about 4 weeks into flower, my haze tend to look a lot like yours... (throwing idea's out there)

How often are you watering/feeding?

too often = rotting roots

what are they sitting on? if it is on grass/the ground  get them a new home- place bricks under the plants 

curl grubs love to climb through the drain holes, and the'll kill your plant quick smart too

dig in the few top inches of medium... do you see any tiny maggot-like bugs (larva) in there?

luck

Edited by Matanuska Thunder
  • Upvote 2

Hey Amlez,

For a start I ain't in tropical. But with the natural moisture there is in your environment, adding further moisture is going to increase the incidence of mould. I have had many issues with mould and have learnt how to manage it for my environement. Now something I noticed from your pics was the third from the last pic, of the bud, with the cut stem directly behind it. How old is the cut? When a stem is cut the sap seeps out. If it is in contact with the bud, the bud will absorb that moisture and it will mould. I have found this when I damaged the junction of a bud to the stem, that bud went all mould.

With outdoors that yellowing of the lower veg growth is pretty normal, same thing happens indoor if plants are left long enough. The leaves are used as a reservoir for the plant to draw its sugars from, once the plants goodness has gone they yellow off. Most indoor growers go 8 weeks and never see that yellowing.

Another question in regard to your 'stewed' root ball. Are you using an airstone to aerate you nutrient. It was explained to be by an old oldtimer that there are 2 types of roots, air roots and water roots, too much water the plant will drown too much air and the plant will starve. So you need a balance. Also the plant needs small, tiny small, air bubbles. Placing a piece of rubber hose blowing bubbles isn't going to give you the tiny bubbles, you need an aquarium airstone to break those bubbles up into a source small enough for the plant to use.

Hope it helps

Merl1n

Edited by merl1n
  • Upvote 2

questions

Bugs

what are you seeing flying around... anything?

are there Cycads in your garden?- they attract a moth that loves canna

Food

some plant strains need extra nutrients about 4 weeks into flower, my haze tend to look a lot like yours... (throwing idea's out there)

How often are you watering/feeding?

too often = rotting roots

what are they sitting on? if it is on grass/the ground  get them a new home- place bricks under the plants 

curl grubs love to climb through the drain holes, and the'll kill your plant quick smart too

dig in the few top inches of medium... do you see any tiny maggot-like bugs (larva) in there?

luck

Cheers mate for the reply.

In regard to bugs - nada.

In regards to Cycads - where do I start.

post-54525-0-66665300-1426072946_thumb.jpg

And I'm hear'n u on the moth :-

post-54525-0-73970600-1426073019_thumb.jpg

I've got a truck load of cycads - and every second one in rotation suffers - gave up years ago spraying white vinigar on new growth to kill the fucka's - now 'roll with the punches'.  All my cycads are out the front tho on a reasonable sized block - but good to know that the ganga plant is a canditate for infestation

Re: feeding - after strong learning curve last year, I now err on under water/under feed (thanks Lousie !!) - and think I've got it nailed.

Interesting on the grubs - yes, my pots sit on the back lawn throughout the day. Not convinced this is the issue - but food for thought.

No maggot like bugs in soil - but there is some fungal type white hairy crap there - maybe rotted roots (too stoned/pi$$ed to see ATM - but will take pics in the morning if I remember).

This girl is basically fukced and I'm about to rip her out & hang her to try and resurrect what I can :-

post-54525-0-91899400-1426073613_thumb.jpg  post-54525-0-08973300-1426073642_thumb.jpg

Too fukced to worry about it now - but at this moment I'm thinking about confining grow to March thru September when the weathers a bit kinder here