Help with soil mix

Hi there,

Im new to the forum. Im having trouble finding the right advice.

I live in Far north QLD and a mate is starting his first grow. 

He is having trouble finding the right soil. Everything has controlled release nutes in it or shit loads of bark.

Where can he buy a good potting mix for seedlings?

The seedlings are being brought up inside by germination in water, then into soil under a fluro tube, then they will be taken outside when ready.

Currently using soil from bunnings, but the seedlings have been going for 3 weeks an have stalled, leaves are curling and they are only about 10cm tall.

Then whats the best mix for when i repot them to go outside?

Cheers

General guidelines for good soil mix: If you go with coco / vermiculite / perlite, make sure that you wash your medium thoroughly to remove the bad stuff. 

• No “extended release” or “slow release” nutrients (especially avoid the original Miracle-Gro soil! It will prevent proper budding in the flowering stage)

• If you use regular high-quality potting soil that isn’t formulated for a plant like cannabis, you can use specially-made soil nutrients during the grow (especially during the flowering stage) to help make sure your plant gets everything it needs to make buds, without having to worry about getting super special soil

• A great soil mix contains ingredients like... coco fiber (i.e. coco coir, coca fiber), perlite, compost, earthworm castings, bat guano, fish meal, crab meal, bone meal, blood meal, kelp meal, peat moss, pumice, composted forest humus, humic acid, sandy loam, soybean meal, alfalfa meal, rock dust, Mycorrhizae fungi, etc

Recommended Soil Brands

• Fox Farms*  You can buy fox farms stuff on ebay or amazon. Probably the easiest way to go.

• Roots Organics

• Goodluck ;)

Bunnings potting mixes are fine, I also do not see the problem with crf's personally, I just planted some seedlings outside they are loving the CRF's.

I would just grab a potting mix from bunnings, some perlite and whatever nutrient you wanna feed, Don't bother building these crazy super soil potting mixes i think they are overkill imo

• Upvote 2

I agree with Frank I used richgro cheap as shit potting mix 3.50 at bunnings with some coarse sand and perlite mixed thru it made a very fluffy and airy mix my plant is happy as in it. For nutrients etc seasol, powerfeed and then some potash for flowering time. If I planted in the ground then I would consider a super mix with manure etc. My 2c

Bunnings potting mixes are fine, I also do not see the problem with crf's personally, I just planted some seedlings outside they are loving the CRF's.

I would just grab a potting mix from bunnings, some perlite and whatever nutrient you wanna feed, Don't bother building these crazy super soil potting mixes i think they are overkill imo

But the potting mixes with "osmocote 3,6,12 month" slow release ferts arnt really good are they?

He did do what you said but his seedlings have stalled..

heres some pics.. they are almost 4 weeks old... why so slow?

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/gallery/album/1448-first-time/

I agree with Frank I used richgro cheap as shit potting mix 3.50 at bunnings with some coarse sand and perlite mixed thru it made a very fluffy and airy mix my plant is happy as in it. For nutrients etc seasol, powerfeed and then some potash for flowering time. If I planted in the ground then I would consider a super mix with manure etc. My 2c

ok... weird they stalled.... under 24 hr 6500k light

Those plants look strecthed to the fuck to. I have read elsewhere that fluros do that. Not talking from personal experience. Id re plant in better mix & lower to. Like all that stem , bury it. leave a centimetre or two sticking up. Just what Id do outdoors.

yeah i was wondering why... ok i will repot.

ive smoked for 22 years, but never even grown a tomato plant lol 

ive read enough i think ill get it

why are the leaves twisting?