How important is a dark period just before harvest

Hi there,

I have read somewhere that a dark period at the end of flowering for about 48hrs, just prior to harvest, increases the potency/quality of the final product.

Anyone out there know of any truth to this.

I am about to chop the last remaining plant in my first grow & am wondering if I should bother?

I also read somewhere about harvesting early in the morning( in terms of light cycle) as there is supposedly more THC in the buds.

Any ideas guys?? :D

The THC content of the buds dont just come and go as they please, that is why we grow the plant... I really doubt this is true, but I've heard of leaving the light off for long periods at the end of the grow.. Well, a fully matured female cannabis plant can be very prone to mould, even on a normal light cycle.. so if you are thinking of doing this, make sure you have adaquate ventilation, or you could be finding yourself with a crop of buds full of mouldy crap in the centers.. possibly whole buds, im not exactly sure..

I've been doing nothing but researching MJ for the past week and more.. thats like, 24 hours a day or more... reading forums, looking at people's grows and stuff.. I have problems with anxiety and insomnia so I have nothing better to do, but anyway.. the information provided above, I havent had any hands on practice with it, but I have read from reputable sources and hope this might help you.

Any OS's care to correct me if im wrong plz.. im still learning too :D

your spot on there Nath,

The last 48 hours of darkness without any light, just seems to smoothen out the finished buds.

It also forces the plant to finish up its last little bit of THC production.

I have tried it a couple of times and the only difference I saw was that fact that the bud was a slightly better quality when smoked.

o if you are thinking of doing this, make sure you have adaquate ventilation, or you could be finding yourself with a crop of buds full of mouldy crap in the centers.. possibly whole buds, im not exactly sure..

Yup, mould can be an issue, always leave an exhaust fan running, or your chances of mould are alot greater.

yea, just be careful with ANY information that you get off the net.

Im no master grower :P , But like yourself I have spent hours and hours reading, and reading different books, and websites etc. ;)

I have a good collection of books in hardprint from the likes of

Mel Frank, Aiden Kelly, Jorge Cervantes, Robert Clarke, Dr Atomic,Jeff Mota,

I generally take a look in the books to verify anything I have read on the net.

I used to post information that I learnt off these sources and they often made me look like an Idiot, as some of the information was bullshit.

Now whenever I use any info from the net, I quote the sources that I got it from. so people can take it or leave it for themselves.

SO yea, I totally agree that there is alot off crap out there, thats why its good having a forum like Ozstoners etc, Where if you post rubbish an experianced grower can pick at it and then the useless info becomes good verified info.

I reakon I would spend about 3 hours at least everyday reading up about weed.

I enjoy learning about it, and growing it just as much as I do smoking it :D.

Thanks guys,

Wasnt too sure about the info. Since Im impatient I will be chopping the plant tomorrow morning. Its the beginning of week 9, I have been flushing for 8 days now ( I also cut off the fan leaves when I started the flush ). The pistils were about 50% brown when I started flushing, now they are about 70-80% brown.

Yum Yum!! :D

hehe ferengi... i do NOTHING all day long.. i play 2d ships game for a few hours a day.. other than that... im reading about MJ and plant genetics and general horticulture, approximately 10-12 hours every 24 hours...

At this rate, and with some growing experience coming soon :D I should be fairly educated.. perhaps I might start doing some online tafe courses on plant genetics or horticulture... Alternately, I will probably just try to make a living off selling good quality no bs cheap MJ to friends of mine to distribute around... but im a few years off that yet.. so I guess I'll see what happens... self employment would be the best bet at the moment.

Sucks for me since I havent had a good smoko in a few weeks and a few months since then, and about 6 months before then.... to see everyone stoned :P BUT I CANT WAIT!@!$!#$@##IOP$#)($(#$()#

Hehehe ;)