Male Or Female

Hey , How do I tell the difference between a male or female, It is said you can tell as soon as they start to sprout or do you have to wait till they begin flowering. I'm new at growing so any help is appreciated! I have 4 plants growing but I don't want a male near the female. Should I keep the male in a different room though!

Thanx

Hi there Drewscrop... welcome to Oz Stoners.

You can find a few good pics of males and females here, have a look around and check out the search function, you should find a few good shots...

Most will show their sex after about 2 months or so of growing vegetatively. They do this by producing small flowers, called pre-flowers, at the nodes of some of the branches. These are indicators of the sex of the plant.

They are either male or female, the males being a small ball on a stick initially, which then opens up into a 5 petalled flower which usually hangs down on said stalk. Inside the flower is a group of stamens which shed out pollen. Millions of grains can be produced from male plants, and only one needs to hit a females stigma to fertilise it....

The females, however, have no stalks at the base. They look like small cone shaped leaves which curl under themselves, and this is the calyx. When the flower opens, it produces a pair of long, white stigmas which are sticky to the touch. These are the receptive organs of the female flower, and are waiting for a piece of pollen to hit them and grow down into the ovary.

When many female flowers clump together, we call them buds or colas. f you allow the plants to remain unfertilised, the calyxes of the flowers, and the small leaves generated around the buds, are covered in trichomes, or resin glands. These are what creates the "high" and they contain the cannabinoids which get you stoned.

Anyway, have a look around the forums, I'm sure you'll find yourself some good pics of male and female flowers, and you'll be able to learn all about growing yourself a good crop here too. B) Good luck, and keep on growing. :D

Hi drewscrop',

If you can, i would invest in a jeweller's loupe,they are a VERY handy piece of equipment! :thumbsup

I have got 2 of them,one i got from a jeweller's,it cost about $20,is made of plastic and has a magnification of 12X. :P

The other one i obtained from an optometrist,that cost me $180 !!!

It has a magnification capabitiy of 20X,is made out of steel,fold's up and has it's own little pouch ! :reallyexcited:

But,when the plant's are getting close to harvest they are VERY helpful to see the trich's ! :thumbsup