small brown spots on older growth-only on veins

Hey Tom,

Thanks for that. I had been comparing enlarged photos of fungus gnats to the ones I caught on the sticky trap with my 6x magnifier. They looked the same to me, but your positive ID is good enough for me.

I just sent an email to the company that sells the Hypoaspis mites and hopefully

I can get some sent out this week, they are in South Aust.

I figured I would go this avenue rather than the sciarid fly drench from hydrocentre in qld, simply because I want to avoid using pesticides as much as possible - dont want to be smoking that stuff!!

Hey Tom,

Ive noticed over the past week or so that 2 of my plants( the ones affected by the sciarid fly ) seem to have stalled in flowering, while the 3rd seems to powering on making beautiful buds.

Once I get the Hypoaspis mites in there, will the other 2 repair themselves and continue flowering or will it severely limit them in terms of yield/quality?

Also, how do I tell if they have root rot?

Hey there,

I just had an idea, which I have implemented - only time will tell if it works.

Since I usually see the bugs either on the soil or coming out the bottom of the pots, I put trays under each pot and sprayed a little Pyrethrum with garlic spray onto the sides of the pots which then ran down into the trays.

I also sprayed the top of the potting mix, so hopefully whichever way the little bastards go, this stuff will kill them.

I figure if I do this every day for about a week or 2 it hopefully solve my problem.

Im thinking that next grow, I might use perlite & vermiculite only.

Will this prevent the little bastards??

I figure if I do this every day for about a week or 2 it hopefully solve my problem.
I would be very careful with any insecticides, even the natural ones in those dosages and you could end up with a residue in the soil that would harm the bio-bugs.

Im thinking that next grow, I might use perlite & vermiculite only.

Will this prevent the little bastards??

No, but it is less likely due to the lack of organic materials.

Once I get the Hypoaspis mites in there, will the other 2 repair themselves and continue flowering or will it severely limit them in terms of yield/quality?
Only time will tell.

Also, how do I tell if they have root rot?
The plants will start to wilt and there will be an off smell in the grow room.

:P

Hey Tom,

Im thinking Ill try just the Pyrethrum spray every day for a week or two - since I already have a spray bottle of it, then if it hasnt helped Ill flush them really well & try the bio-bugs.

Ive been looking at my cupboard the last few days, since the 2 plants on the outside get less light ( I have been rotating them ), so to maximise the light, I decided this afternoon to cull the smallest, least mature one to give the stronger 2 more light and hopefully a better yield each.

I figured that since I havent had a smoke for a while, the immature small buds will probably get me ripped anyway. I had a smoke a few weeks ago of leaf from some of the smaller ones that werent big enough to be included in the "selection" that went into the flowering cupboard - and was semi-stoned!

The spray is unlikely to do the job as you have got one of the hardest to kill pests around, I would be paying express mail for the bio-bugs as I feel they are the best alternative. Your other option is to let them grow until they start showing signs of distress and then harvest. Remember to give your grow room and all components a good sterilising clean after each grow, that way you know their are no pests, moulds or diseases living in the corners waiting for the next grow to infest.

:P

Well I havent seen any of the buggers for about 48 hrs now. I havent been spraying the plants themselves, just the potting mix and the sides of the pots so the runoff goes into the trays underneath. The theory was that whichever way they emerge, I should get them. :o

Ive been spraying just before lights out( wanted to do it at lights on as well but are usually at work by then) for 3 nights now. So I figure if I do it for another week and a half (total time 2 weeks), I should get all the larvae as they become flies.

That will take me to the end of week 4 of flowering. Then I plan to flush really well and will flower for another 3-4 weeks depending on when the trichromes become cloudy. So hopefully by then there shouldnt be any or much pyrethrum left in there. My budget is severely limited atm so I will have to wait a couple of more weeks before I can get them. :angry:

Your other option is to let them grow until they start showing signs of distress and then harvest.

What signs am I looking for - how do I tell if theyre in distress? :P