Tip Burn

Hello every1,Just wondering why the new growth has slight tip burn?Is the light to close?

Space 1.5 metres by 1.5 metres/600 hps 3.5ft away/Rooted clones/Giving 1/4 strenth every water and gonna flush once a week watering twice a day at the moment using perlite /big pots,just seeing the new growth now as had a few probs to start with,Do i need the outlet running all the time or can i just have a little fan moving the air around while they r small as temps r hard to keep up as very cold here,Will it hurt adding slightly warmed water (just to take that chill out of it) when watering?Friend would like to say a big thanks to every1 that has help him with his grow and will be happy to make a donation to oz-stoners in the near future and become a member to when he get his computer :D thanks oz stoners

• Admin
Its more like a purplelish colour in the very tips of leaves otherwise they look vey healthy

Purple eh... are the stems purple as well?

Plants tend to go purple when the water is too cold, not from nute, or heat burn... If you haven't got a water heater in your tank get one... Do you know your water temp?

Yeah, it's a handwatered system though oz, so I think it's unlikely that a water heater would be able to do much.

Yeah, purpling is a sign of cold and nutrient deficiency, mostly p and k. I think you've been flushing recently, so it should just take a little time for the new shoots to get the nutes they want. as they get used to the new environment and nutrients.

Just remember that too few nutrients is far better than too much. :D If they continue to look purple or bad at the growth tips after a while of feeding with the new nutrients, then you could consider changing them, as they may just not be enough in there. But I think it'll pick up now that you're feeding well. :D

Good luck, let us know how ya go bigsmoker.

how much is a nutes tester from a hydro shop? Or can i get em anywhere else? At present i am pretty much guessing, and some of the seedlings are tipping over a bit, some aren't.. i think i better test the ph too.. Hey how cold can the water be without having to heat it?

thnx

hey bigsmoker

get yourself a thermometer from kitchen section in Kmart Big W etc (waterproof) and put in your nutes reservoir to check the temp. Theory has it that nute temp should be 19-23 degrees celsius. Apparently water cannot hold oxygen above 25 degrees celsius so don't warm it up too much or you will get other problems such as root rot etc. What sort of tank do you have? Instead of trying to heat up entire tank you could put enough nutes in a bucket each hand feed and half hour before you feed throw a plastic milk or coke bottle (previously sterilised with oxyplus or bleach etc) full of boiling water into the nute bucket. Leave lid on milk bottle, don't pour the water into the bucket you just want the heat of the boiling water to heat up the small amount of nutes in your bucket. Use your thermometer to get right temp of around 20 degrees celsius.

jonbrown

a nutes tester cost between $85 (milwaukee brand not waterproof and needs calibrating) and $145 (truncheon waterproof, very reliable, no calibration required but always rinse it). PH testers are around $80-$90.

And water temps are mentioned above in post to bigsmoker.

Good luck guys.

I would also note that I prefer liquid ph testers like the ones made by Flairform and canna. These are very cheap, less than 10 bucks, and are more accurate IMHO than electronic ones as they don't rely on complex electronics which need calibration and maintenance. You can't fool a chemical reaction. :D

But yeah, pH indicator liquids are very cheap, and accurate, methods of testing ph levels.

Oh, and truncheons rock. :D