new seedlings ?

Its "Damping Off"

Usually caused by too much loving. Overwatering and placing seedling in a dome with too much humidity causes a disease and or fungus to attack the seedling.

Clones go in a dome. Seedlings under a lamp open lid not to wet and if in rockwool "never" water from the top but soak the rockwool in water from the bottom. Most times people use too much water

thinking its good for em!

Let your babies grow a bit and then you can foliar spray but let them get established first.

This is usually caused by a fungal disease called "damping off". The cause is infected soil, waterlogged substrate, high humidity...any conditions that promote fungus. The fungus attacks the soft tissue in the stem which withers at the base or midway. The seedling collapses and dies. Another possible cause is that the seedlings died from lack of water or a high salt level in the substrate (which basically has the same effect of drying out the plant). Seedlings have only a small amount of roots and few leaves. They cannot retain much water and quickly dry out. High humidity in the grow space does not compensate for a desiccated substrate. Your soil/rockwool has to be moist enough to sustain healthy roots and provide water to the plant. Photo shows “damping off”. Outdoor frost can kill seedlings overnight. Keep your seedlings indoor until there is no danger of sudden frost. See our GERMINATION GUIDE for great product tips on how to keep your seedlings warm outdoor or in the greenhouse. - See more at: http://www.mandalaseeds.com/Guides/Germination-Troubleshooting-Guide#sthash.F10k5BXC.dpuf
Edited by halcyona
  • Upvote 1

Just kicking this off again (don't want to start a new thread for same issue!!) - I've got the same problem with one of my 3 recently cracked Thai Skunk seedlings. I googled & found the Mandala Seeds info based on the pic that came up on my Google search - my seedling was identical (as per Louise's post earlier). Gotta love the contradictions in diagnosing the cause in some of these things - ie could be caused by being too wet or too dry ??

Here's the kicker with mine however - x3 seeds treated identically (same medium, same watering regime, same lighting, etc, etc) - as you can see by attached pics tho', 2 are OK but one has 'suffered'.

How to explain this contradiction? - (or is it one for the 'shit happens' file ?).

I've got the effected seedling staked up - can they recover from this condition?

Seedling at 1 day - looks healthy to me :- post-54525-0-21355300-1409960670_thumb.jpg

Day 4 (after staking) - you can see the 'thinned/damaged' stem :-  post-54525-0-33302500-1409960731_thumb.jpg

Day 4 sisters - both OK ??  :-  post-54525-0-15455900-1409960782_thumb.jpg  post-54525-0-91052700-1409960797_thumb.jpg

These spend 6 hours under CFL light - then all day in the tropical sun.

MrCompletion also has 1 of his 6 doing the same thing (outdoor and bought in when sun sets - no artificial lighting). Had the same thing last year too. Propped it up with some garden ties and it survived. Would never have won a beauty contest but she survived none the less. I'll persist with this one too. Will show her I care but as cap'n says won't love her to death.