Gotta shocking problem.

You should put a ground spike down next to the footings of your shed and run a line back in for the ballast and earth on your socket. Then Just ground the shell of the ballast with some insulated thick multi-core copper to the ground wire. You properly have a faulty wire in the ballast causing the short as I have seen a lot of dodgy Chinese wiring in a lot of electrical products.  Good luck and play safe.

Edited by lookinggoodguys

Every time I fire up my grow light everything metallic in my room becomes live and gives me a heavy jolt which sucks a bit.

I've tried unplugging the ballast and no electrocution, I've tried just running the timer and that's not it so it must be the frigging ballast (400/600 watt solistek dimmable)

When I touch a metal object I get jolted every 30 seconds or so, It's not continuous so it seems like a capacitor charging and discharging which almost certainly means it's the ballast.(this only happens when the ballast and light are on).

Has anyone here encountered this problem before and does anyone have any ideas on what it may be.

I'm baffled and I don't have a multimeter so I can't test the fucking thing without frying myself in the process.

It's a worry.

lol Jimmy

Invest in a new ballast?...

Edited by MongyMan

You should put a ground spike down next to the footings of your shed and run a line back in for the ballast and earth on your socket. Then Just ground the shell of the ballast with some insulated thick multi-core copper to the ground wire. You properly have a faulty wire in the ballast causing the short as I have seen a lot of dodgy Chinese wiring in a lot of electrical products.  Good luck and play safe.

Done that yesterday, will connect it up when the ballast is in the shop getting tested.

Shit mate,

if it was me i'd be counting my losses, take it all down start again. Something that has been classified as a potentially fatal error countless of times by memebers here with electronic experience, would have me hiring a qualified electrician to do it, jsut odnt have any lights etc there when he comes to fix it.

Although I'm not sure what you are suppose to say when he asks why the fuck you tried to do it yourself.

Best of luck mate, just be safe we don't want you winning any darwin awards in the near future, if ya know waht i mean

Final update hopefully, Ballast has been tested and seems to be fine and in non fatality causing condition.

The entire shed has been re-wired and earthed, did some overkill on the wiring and used 15 amp, my previous wiring was good but the cord itself was in very bad condition so maybe that was the problem.

So far I haven't been nuked but the real test comes in a few hours when the light comes on.

Fingers are crossed I've done everything right this time, haven't had a smoke yet so that helped a bit :)

Thanks for all the pro wisdom fellow smokers and thanks for all the funny comments as well, made the whole deal a lot more bearable.

Rock on stoners :)

Another thing to think about is your insurance... if it all burns down you wont get a cracker if there is non certified electrical work.

I think if burns down due to a illegal grow room your insurance would be worth nothing anyway . Those fuckers will find anyway out of paying and that is a great reason for them .