Veg N Flower

Hello every1,Just wondering how long people veg 4 n flower 4?I was reading that a strain Red devil needed min of 3 weeks veg and 9-10 weeks flower(Doesnt sound right?)So whats best say 3-4 weeks veg n 8 weeks flower,Say the strain is Red devil pure indicia,Will the plants grow much after turning them?How big do you want plants before turning if wanting great yield?I no leaving em 2 long is no good as you dont get much from the bottoms its only time wasting yeah?Id think 24/7 4 veg would b best what do youse think?Thanks n good luck 2 all :)

how long people veg 4 n flower 4?

I veg to a size not a peroid of time, usually around 3 foot.

So whats best say 3-4 weeks veg n 8 weeks flower,Say the strain is Red devil pure indicia,Will the plants grow much after turning them?

grow it to 1/3rd of the size of the grow room then turn to 12/12.

That is very strain dependant, one of my strains easily doubles and an other doesnt stretch at all.

I no leaving em 2 long is no good as you dont get much from the bottoms its only time wasting yeah?

the only reason you dont get much from the bottoms normally is because they are to far away from the light, Just train the plant around the light by tieing up or using a screen.

Id think 24/7 4 veg would b best what do youse think?Thanks n good luck 2 all 

me too, there are some that say the plant needs the light for a certian process, but I always run 24hrs.

Just wondering how long people veg 4 n flower 4?

I too grow to size, but it depends on a lot of factors, time is one of them which has to be taken into account. If you're growing from seed you'll want to grow them for a good month or two to sexual maturity before turning them to flower, or you'll have a substandard and low yeild.

If you're using clones, it depends again on the growspace, and what kind of system you plan on using. Some clones would only need a week or so of vegetative growth to establish and shoot up a bit in a sog system, but in a lower plant numbers system like scrog or larger plant growing, you'll need to veg longer to acheive your desired size.

You have to remember that a plant will be fairly small to begin with, and then through the flowering process it develops branches which then fill out with buds. The finished vegetative size can be as low as 1/3 or less than the finished flowering height.

But clones will require a lot less time and energy to attain a flowering size than an equivalently sized seedling. A seedling that hasn't reached sexual maturity will have to grow for a long time, developing in size and going through it's seedling, veg, preflowering stages before it can be flowered. A clone is essentially a late-veg or preflowering branch which can be grown on, with a relatively large foliage size compared to seedlings, and larger root system. They take off because they've already gone through all the early growing stages and are ready to develop and flower at whatever size you like, depending on the environment they face. :)

I was reading that a strain Red devil needed min of 3 weeks veg and 9-10 weeks flower(Doesnt sound right?)

This sounds like it's a clone strain, not from seed, in which case it sounds perfectly reasonable. If it was from seed, it would be more like 8-12, (just an example) weeks of veg, 9-10 weeks flower indoors.

Say the strain is Red devil pure indicia,Will the plants grow much after turning them?

As I noted before, the finished vegetative height could be as little as 1/3 and as much as 1/2 or a little more, of the finished flowering height. This can be affected somewhat by tying down and topping, but it's a fair rule. the reason is that the "stretch" of branches that happens in the first few weeks of flowering is a structure building exercise by the plants, developing the structure to hold up the flowering tops. These then explode from the leaf axils, (where a new branch would otherwise come from out from the nodes) and these flower clusters grow and grow and will grow together to form a "cola" or "bud", which is in fact many thousands of flowers.

Indica plants generally stretch less than sativa strains, although these days there are so many genes crossed together and strains mixed up there are nowhere near as many "pure" sativa or indica plants and strains out there. They're there, but most modern strains are complex hybrids over time.

Even if they're a pure indica, they'll still stretch enough from the end of veg to double their height by the end of flowering, so take this into account when you're timing the turn. :P

How big do you want plants before turning if wanting great yield?I no leaving em 2 long is no good as you dont get much from the bottoms its only time wasting yeah?

Indeed, you've hit the nail on the head there. The larger the plant, generally the larger the end yeild in buds. Of course, there are always limiting factors in growing, and indoors light is one which is serious.

If you're in a small space, like a cupboard, the penetration of the lamps is fairly short. It can be bounced off the walls and can get a bit into the canopy, but at some point from the lamps, it just runs out of light, and as you say the bottoms are tiny.

These can easily be converted to honey oil, of course, but they can also make for a much higher humidity level, and be a fine area for insects to attack as they're already none too happy branches to begin with. You can trim them, but you have to be careful not to take too many and stress the plant, and whenever you open a wound on the plant you're potentially inviting more nasties into there. Fungus is in the air all the time, spores are in everything, all they need is a tiny excuse, and they'll try and cause you troubles. :(

Aaaaanyway, you can spread your crop around and have it quite low, keeping branches at a low level by tying down. This ensures that there is little wasted light, and scrog is a fine example of working to maximise light usage by a canopy. Check out some of the other threads on the boards about this, I'm sure there's something here.

In the end, it's about your space and what your'e growing and what lights you have, etc etc. You can only really give certain advice about how high you should grow them and how much penetration with a lot of information about how you'll grow them and the strain itself, and even then it's a hit and miss affair. So it depends really, but you'll work out what's optimum for your setup with time. ;)

Id think 24/7 4 veg would b best what do youse think?

Yeah, 24/0 day/night is claimed by many to be the best method of growing plants and getting the best outta them, but I'm not certain myself. You can only look into it and see how you're own opinion forms, and what works best in your garden.

It can be useful to know that by keeping out darkness permanently, you'll be making them very sensitive to darkness from a flowering point of veiw, so they may go into flower at lower lengths of darkness than a similar plant grown under a 20/4 or 16/8 flowering cycle. Just a thought there.

Hope that helps big smoker, let us know how you're going with your grow eh? :)

I turn mine down about 20 inches after 4 weeks at 20/4

The bastards stretch like a bitch still but.

I'm going to try a tip I got, dunno if it was common knowledge but a mate said he turned his lights off completely for 3 or 4 days. Stopped the stretch so much. Sometimes he only vegs for 3 weeks as he gets alright stuff going as clones under flouros.

He has a small room, but now he has a real nice canopy, all the colas are even and standing up tall, looking good.

Because he uses gas as I do, his stems seem to be able to hold the weight of the colas well.

He gets good light down beneath too, nice set-up.

In opinion on the power issue, I ran my lights at night so when the man comes, the meter box looks sweet to him (not that they would give a fuck anyway as they are all wearing headphones listeneing to the radio and probably stoned off their tits as well!!)

Doesn't phase me really. Would look sus though if they stopped and had a GOOD look at the dial. :)

Cheers (and buckets, now I pissed that pipe off)

LF