Clonard College student wins national cannabis prevention poster compe

OZ Stoners

For Immediate Release

Year 12 student, Bridget O’Halloran of Clonard College, has won $2,000 for herself and $1,500 for her school, in a national poster competition aimed at raising awareness of the negative impact of cannabis use on young people’s sporting performance.

O’Halloran’s poster, ‘Get your kicks on the field. Not on the sidelines’, outshone a large number of other entries received this year by the National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre (NCPIC). Entries came from schools across the country , with almost all jurisdictions being represented this year.

The annual NCPIC Poster Competition aims to raise awareness amongst secondary school students about the harms associated with cannabis use. Topics covered in previous years have included the impact of cannabis use on education and friendships, and the importance of seeking help for cannabis-related problems.

The judging panel, made up of professionals in the creative arts, graphic design, alcohol and other drug counselling and mental health fields, was impressed with the quality of the entries and the sophisticated way they communicated their messages to the audience.

An excerpt from O’Halloran’s explanation of her poster reveals both her maturity and insight into the issues young people face around cannabis use, and is representative of many of the thoughtful and creative entries received in this year’s competition:

“Physical health, fitness and sport are important in maintaining a healthy body and lifestyle. However, cannabis and its effects can impact on one’s health and wellbeing. I chose to emphasise a concept of choices and consequences as they might be in a football match. I hope to encourage cannabis users to consider their choices deeply and how ‘using’ might impact on their lifestyle and health. I also want to encourage other individuals to consider sport as an outlet and social activity. Whilst employing the ‘game’ concept, my deep intent is to suggest that cannabis use is not a game, but rather a serious and life impacting matter. I want to encourage individuals to follow their dreams and achieve their goals, whether that be on the sporting field or not.”http://ncpic.org.au/static/images/winning-2011-poster-final-1.jpg

Copies of the winning poster can be ordered free of charge from the NCPIC website: http://ncpic.org.au/ncpic/news/competitions/article/2011-poster-competition-winner-announced
Previous years’ winning posters may also be ordered from this order form.

Cannabis Information and Helpline – 1800 30 40 50
NCPIC website – www.ncpic.org.au

ends

Contact Details:

Paul Dillon, tel. (02) 9385 0226, email p.dillon@unsw.edu.au
Clare Le (Chenoweth), tel. (02) 9385 0218, email clare.le@unsw.edu.au
Date Issued: October 21, 2011

View the full article

Important Information

By using the community in any way you agree to our Terms of Use and We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.