Best way to harvest thousands of seeds?

I'm thinking how can you manage to have so many weed plants to harvest thousands of seeds from and not know how to harvest them en masse. :)

In my case I just use tweezers to harvest cos I don't have that many  :unknw:

I've only had to deal with tons of seeds once in my life before now and the buds they were in pretty much completely deseeded themselves with a quick shake in a bag.  Every other time I've had seedy buds there have been so few seeds to deal with that I've just removed them as I chopped up.  I totally failed to take into consideration how seedy buds could actually get and how much of a pain in the arse it was to manually remove them if the buds held on to them even a little.  I just assumed that everything would be the same as it was in the past and we all know how assumptions turn out :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Hey Doc,

Sorry for the delay but I finally found some time to draw you a bit of a scribble (and apologies for the bad drawing skills lol but you'll get the idea. The write up might help lol  )

P.S. Under both the barrel and the frame sits stainless steel sheets ( they aren't shown in the scribble) to collect the triches to make hash. 

Merl1n

post-24238-0-97457000-1388929706_thumb.jpg

post-24238-0-78350700-1388929758_thumb.png

Edited by merl1n
  • Upvote 3

Hey Doc,

Sorry for the delay but I finally found some time to draw you a bit of a scribble (and apologies for the bad drawing skills lol but you'll get the idea. The write up might help lol  )

P.S. Under both the barrel and the frame sits stainless steel sheets ( they aren't shown in the scribble) to collect the triches to make hash. 

Merl1n

Thanks mate.  You mspainted a great picture of how its built and works lol  I could even picture how it would look working in my head which for first thing in the morning is a huge feat.  You're a deadset legend :thumbsup:

Funds will be a bit tight but I'll definitely get it built over time.  The trick will be convincing the mrs to build it to save her from harvesting seeds by hand.  If she wants it more than me it'll get build in record time and I won't get in trouble for spending more money on the grow lol

• Upvote 1

Hey Doc,

It doesn't need to cost ya shit loads, in fact ya can do it for less than $50 if ya think laterally. That barrel is a piece of sewer pipe from Bunnings, but the original barrel was an old 20ltr paint bucket (with a lid) from a building site and the mesh around the bucket was an old net curtain. It works well for seed collection but if you want the triches the mesh needs to be finer, I now use silk screening fabric, or it will be full of hairs. I made up a small hand 'shaker' with a small Maggi Stock container with the finer screen to remove the hairs. I used the Maggi container because it has a threaded lid. The last thing you want is for the lid to pop off the shaker, being threaded, it won't.

My original motor was from an old oven rotisserie from a salvage yard, but it died and now I use a BBQ rotisserie, from Bunnings.

As for the sluice table, its an old flyscreen, again from the salvage yard. Cost me $5

So as I say it can cost as little as $50, but if you go all new around $200. I went cheap then refined as the funds became available.

I'm glad you got the idea from my scribble lol

Hope it helps

Merl1n

Edited by merl1n
  • Upvote 2

I've only had to deal with tons of seeds once in my life before now and the buds they were in pretty much completely deseeded themselves with a quick shake in a bag.  Every other time I've had seedy buds there have been so few seeds to deal with that I've just removed them as I chopped up.  I totally failed to take into consideration how seedy buds could actually get and how much of a pain in the arse it was to manually remove them if the buds held on to them even a little.  I just assumed that everything would be the same as it was in the past and we all know how assumptions turn out :rolleyes:

Hey Doc,

Merl1n

Heya Doc, Merl1n :peace: thanks for the topic doc and the device Merl1N, Last grow in the cupboard got me 3 seeded (don't ask how lol ) ladies that decimated my yield and left me no high but def dry.  what I scrounged smoked nicely so damn but hey that's our lot now and again. 

I would have loved to get something like your machine Merl1n to help me out and get better value out of the shake. 

Doc, I never realised how chockas they could get and the beans were packed in there solid woulda been nice b'seed bud for sure. 

Peace and thanks. v :sun:

Hey Doc,

It doesn't need to cost ya shit loads, in fact ya can do it for less than $50 if ya think laterally. That barrel is a piece of sewer pipe from Bunnings, but the original barrel was an old 20ltr paint bucket (with a lid) from a building site and the mesh around the bucket was an old net curtain. It works well for seed collection but if you want the triches the mesh needs to be finer, I now use silk screening fabric, or it will be full of hairs. I made up a small hand 'shaker' with a small Maggi Stock container with the finer screen to remove the hairs. I used the Maggi container because it has a threaded lid. The last thing you want is for the lid to pop off the shaker, being threaded, it won't.

My original motor was from an old oven rotisserie from a salvage yard, but it died and now I use a BBQ rotisserie, from Bunnings.

As for the sluice table, its an old flyscreen, again from the salvage yard. Cost me $5

So as I say it can cost as little as $50, but if you go all new around $200. I went cheap then refined as the funds became available.

I'm glad you got the idea from my scribble lol

Hope it helps

Merl1n

I'll buy it bit by bit and get good quality gear so I only build it once out of good gear.  Christmas ruined me and I was already poor to begin with so it will take some time but I'll get on to it asap :)

Heya Doc, Merl1n :peace: thanks for the topic doc and the device Merl1N, Last grow in the cupboard got me 3 seeded (don't ask how lol ) ladies that decimated my yield and left me no high but def dry.  what I scrounged smoked nicely so damn but hey that's our lot now and again. 

I would have loved to get something like your machine Merl1n to help me out and get better value out of the shake. 

Doc, I never realised how chockas they could get and the beans were packed in there solid woulda been nice b'seed bud for sure. 

Peace and thanks. v :sun:

I got caught off guard with how seeded they could get too.  They looked like normal buds for the most part so to see that they're 90% seed is a head spin.  Definitely enough to make you want mechanical removal hey lol

How long are you leaving the buds on plant?

I like to leave them as long as possible,Til they start falling out is best .

I'm leaving them until they're fully mature and ready to be harvested like normal where possible.  I've had issues with bud rot lately so thats been forcing me to harvest some plants early but if I can I'll let the girls go full term as both the seeds and buds are better.

• Upvote 1