easy Gnat control, no pesticides

Common knowledge, I had a major gnat problem recently.

Weapon of choice was Neem oil, but a recent ad in maximum yield USA, caught my attention.

There's a new? product on the market for gnat control, made from recycled glass. Looks kind of like the super soil aerator I purchased about three weeks ago, which is also made from recycled glass.

So I top covered all pots with the aerator, major gnat problem no more! Still a couple buzzing around, but it appears that the numbers have diminished rapidly since top coating, so I'm giving it a thumbs up on this occasion.

Costs around $45 for a bag, but in comparison to the neem, and quantities required for flushing effeciently, is far cheaper, and healthier. Give it a crack, you may be surprised:-) post-50453-0-41686800-1373330932_thumb.jpgpost-50453-0-11482000-1373330960_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi burner, I actually looked into growstones before picking my grow medium. My concern was I found some info that they have some un-natural chemicals added to buffer the ph to counter the naturally high acidity the creation process causes.

I'm glad you found a solution to your gnat issue but the same can be done with cheaper perlite ($45 for 100L) or with expanded clay (as per nibblers tutorials)

With that said I'm reaaally keen to see how growstones go for you dude, are you able to comment on whether that PH buffering is fact or oppinion (possibly even counter marketing)

This post was done on my phone, sorry if its cluttered or full of typos

I first saw a mention of that stuff after reading that the one of the bigger companies that makes clay balls had their mine run dry so were shutting shop.  That recycled glass stuff was meant to be the replacement of choice.  Bit iffy about it to be honest as it looks like its been crushed into a powder and pressed into rocks and if thats the case glass dust could come off them and get into water pumps, slice up roots or god forbid get airborne and breathed in.  I don't know the facts so thats more paranoia than anything but I am very curious as to how well it can work as both a medium and pest preventative.

http://www.growstone.com/2012/02/how-to-prepare-growstones-before-use/

Growstones have been improved with the addition of a pH buffer. Now it is simpler and faster to get started with Growstones in Hydroponics.

What is the buffer made from and what happens when it runs out? Would this mean that Growstones have a limited life before they cause PH issues?

I first saw a mention of that stuff after reading that the one of the bigger companies that makes clay balls had their mine run dry so were shutting shop.  That recycled glass stuff was meant to be the replacement of choice.  Bit iffy about it to be honest as it looks like its been crushed into a powder and pressed into rocks and if thats the case glass dust could come off them and get into water pumps, slice up roots or god forbid get airborne and breathed in.  I don't know the facts so thats more paranoia than anything but I am very curious as to how well it can work as both a medium and pest preventative.

You'd want to be careful of that for sure! Even out of the bag you'll have alot of powder plus as its designed to be porous + is made from glass I'd expect it to be fairly fragile?

1. For first time use, quickly rinse Growstones to eliminate any dust created during shipping.

The washed sand work extremely well but i must say not a fan of it , makes watering slow . The water just sits on top and very slowly filters through and i wonder over the flowering time how much sand builds up throughout the medium .

And with the water moving so slowly through the sand  could salts build up in it  ?