When To Put Under Lights

Hello,

I've germinated some seeds using the paper towel method. I've now placed them into rockwool propagating blocks but when should I move them under lights? Also, I've heard that you should start seedlings off under a fluro and move to the 400w once a few sets of leaves can be seen, is this correct?

Thanks

You can put the seedlings under a HID if you want but it would have to be like 4 feet away from the plant, and will use unnecessary power.

if the light is too strong or close, it will dry the plant out and it will die.

Better to start them under a fluro and wait until they have a couple of branches before putting them under a HID.

You can safely veg them under the fluro and then just use the HID for flowering.

I veg mine under a HPS but thats because im not worried about power usage.

I wouldnt germinate them under paper towels and then put them in blocks, thats a big ask of a little root.

Better off sticking the seedling in the rockwool and germinating of that, But if the plant is a tired genetic it may not come up as it has to work hard to push through the block.

Or what I did last time was to raise the seedling in seed raising mix and then when it was about 15-20 cms tall, wash the soil off the roots gently under luke warm water with some superthrive or in my case Power thrive to reduce stress and then place the plant in to a net pot.

Then use some superthrive, power thrive or nutriboost in the nutrient mix.

but theres so many different ways.

Edited by Ferenge420

Wouldn't it be faster to veg under HID than under a flouro?

Much faster and a higher yield too, but I would use a Son-T-Agro light as they are designed to grow the plants from seedling to harvest, check out the "HID Lights" link in my signature for a bit more information on them.

Much faster and a higher yield too, but I would use a Son-T-Agro light as they are designed to grow the plants from seedling to harvest, check out the "HID Lights" link in my signature for a bit more information on them.

Based on what Tom, I stated this once here and I got a valid argument that the yeild is not effected at all if the plant is vegged under a HPS compared to Fluros.

Yes I totally agree with the difference in Flower, but I have not see proof of this in a veg state.

I find fluros are also just as fast as a HID, as long as the nutrients are kept low like about 1.0EC.

Maybe faster as the plant has no need to adjust to the intensity.

But hey I havent done any comparisons or anything. I was just educated here by the members.

Anyone actually comparison grown this?

I grew under fluoro's for many years, there is a big difference. HID's get far better light penetration to the lower parts of the plants therefore promoting stronger growth under the canopy, the stronger the growth in veg, the better the yield in flower.

How does the stronger veg produce more flowers?

By producing more and stronger flower points due to the shorter node spacing, stronger branches will support larger heads, Chev has started a topic in the hydroponics forum on our current grow so you can compare the growth and yield to a grow that has been done under fluoro's.

:D