Things go better with coca coca

Buenos tardes, Tang:-) Been doing a bit of reading, found a little titbit I found interesting. The Corkwood plant, Duboisia Myoporides, is an Australian native the aborigines used to make 'Pitcheri', a substance similar to Coca. Thought I'd share that with ya:-) apparently, the bark is used.
  • Upvote 2

I had a chance to get some coca seeds a couple years back but declined as ( i had to get on a plane, but mainly because ) i'm under the impression the plants need to grow at a  high altitude to properly develop alkaloids - something most of us can't replicate. 

are you growing on an elevated site? Or am I going on bad info?

Thanks for sharing.

Hi Guys I was hoping some of the more experienced people might be able to help me. I have tried everything I can think of.

I transplanted my coca plant, from coco, to organic, a mixture of potting mix and blended organic manure. 3 months ago.

First thing the plant nearly died of shock, then luckily sprouted anew from some suckers on the main stem and grew into the plant in the picture.

The reason I transplanted in the first place was during flowering, which it did profusely, the leaves turned yellow and burnt from the tips and edges. I fed canna pk13/14 thinking it needed flowering nutes but it just got worse.

To the point I thought it would die, so I gambled and transplanted it to organic soil, after cutting away all the dead wood, (80% of the plant) she has slowly recovered to the point where she is exploding with new growth.

But I am starting to see the same discoloration on the old leaves, does anyone know why?

I want to get it sorted as she will be flowering again soon and is now outside in a shade house where the bee's can do their thing.

Any help would be very welcome.

Tangwenapost-47664-0-45591700-1402474522_thumb.jpg

Hi Tangwena, so glad this is still going for you. i really need to try this soon.

im a deadset lost cause when it comes to organic soils but i would suggest checking the PH of your soil. i think you can buy a cheap soil tester from bunnings? i have read that coco prefers a slightly acidic soil between 5.5 - 6 PH dont hold me to that though but could be worth looking into.

if the PH checks out i would think maybe a magnesium deficiency or a potassium deficiency although if it was a potassium def the PK 13/14 should have done something to help it?

although i would be very careful adding PK 13/14 that stuff is not good for plants. it is designed to shock and stress your Marijuana plant during flowering which produces a stronger flowering response as your plant fears for its life. certainly not something i would be giving to an already stressed plant.

could it be the environment? Humidity or low temps maybe? might explain why it did the same thing around this time last year?

i dont really know just spit balling here, throwing ideas around, maybe something might click with you, keep us up to date though please this grow is one of the most interesting i have seen

Hi FIWH thanks. I agree the ph may be something to do with it. I water her with Ph adjusted water but I have a mist sprayer come on 4 times a day for a short period to keep the humidity high in the shade house, and that is straight tap water at 6.5ph so its a possible cause, I am trying to keep her fully organic now if I can. So no PK13/14 thats for sure.

I missed out on berries last time due to the stress, but I am hoping to get some now she is happy outside. I will go slowly this time whatever I try, she has had more come backs than John Farnham, she deserves  to have a long life.

Tangwena

A BIG thanks to forgetiwashere, I tested the soil ph and you were spot on, way to alkaline. I tried to amend it with acid but useless. So I took her out of the crap she was in, left the roots in a massive bucket of water and seaweed extract to wash all the soil off, then carefully re potted her in an azalea potting mix with a sprinkle of organic blood and bone lifter, and then watered her in well with sea weed extract.

I know its early but this morning it looked like the sun was shining in the green house. If a plant could talk, I just got told" its on for tonight!"

I was stumped mate, thanks again I will post some picks when she has fully recovered.

Tangwena,   ,