growing out door in winter in south australia

Hi nmn,

The three autoflowering varieties I am working with are:  Seedsman Seeds, Sugar Haze.  Dutchbreed, Autumn Fall.  And Jackauto from Freedom of Seeds.

I had germination problems with S/H and A/F, I think that was probably down to me.  So I had to replant, no problems second time, but it put me about 4 weeks behind, which was a bugger as I was already starting pretty late in the season, early January.

One thing I did learn on this forum was, get premium seedraising soil, not cheaper seed raising mix, as it is only with the seedraising soil that liquid will, 'wick' up to the roots by capillary action.

First time I have ever grown, so very much a newbie myself.  I have decided to keep them in pots for discretion, I don't have a good sunny spot that is not in view of neighbours, also I can move them around to extend the daily natural light period.

. I just moved them into larger pots, they develop lots of roots and so they become quickly root bound.. not good.  Also in direct sun the black plastic pots absorb the heat, and in a small pot, the mix becomes quite hot.  Much less so in a larger pot, and I have covered one before in white paper to reflect as much of the heat as possible.

It looks like the S/H and Jackauto are just beginning to flower, however this may be because I used a NPK fertiliser to start, then I have used Phostogen, (used for roses) to promote flowering.

Because I have more seeds, I will watch next time and wait until they begin to flower before giving them the phostogen.

My autoflowering seeds were also feminised.  So, no males.  The plants look strong and healthy, even though they have just, yesterday, been transplanted.  So, I am happy with the quality of the seeds, I would just make sure you get at least 5, just in case you have some germination problems.

Wishing you well, Asyloon.

Update:

My, 'autoflowering', varieties, are not!  Just as prophesied by other peoples, they were only about 12 - 16 inches high when they went to head.  Apparently, anything with some of the ruderalis genetics, won't autoflower.  I wonder why the seeds sellers continue to sell them as autoflowering, when they are not!!!

Have to go to indoor/stealth mode:( 

However I must say that even though the harvest is small, it sure is tasty, been curing it for a month now:)

I have one question, Is it possible for a female plant to produce viable seeds?  Surely, if this is the case, either the seed is not fertile.. don't know yet...  or, someone around here has male flowering plants...?

Look forward to any input, all the best, All.

hi there,

i did an out door grow earlier this year and used Auto Northern Lights (check out the thread), ok the plant wasn't massive , got up to about 50cm high in a 25ltr pot . i got about 4 oz from 2 plants and was more than happy with the result. The good thing about autos is you can keep them inside to get the most of the heat and out of the bad windy days. i have found it doesn't matter when you put them out they will flower from about week 5 so you need to get them as big as possible before then. There is more than likely there is a chance of a male up in the hills as i know of a few growers.

All the best of luck Munchy 

Aha!!  She said, by George, I think I have got it!  In Winter, obviously these plants will not reach the size they would in summer.

So, you have 5 weeks to get them as big as poss, before flowering when they are locked in.

My Feb/March/April plants were still only tiny, nice for a little something different, but none of them were more than 12 in tall!  Still it was quite late in the season.

As to the unexpectedly fertile seeds, thier germination rate is great, it seems the fresher the seed, the more vigorous it is.

I do like to have a pipe and wonder where that male is.....

Tks for your added info, much appreciated.

I am Sooo a novice, still, at least I am not still planting them upside down!!! :(

Asyloon