Air-pot / Rocket-Pot worth using ?

Used them for a couple of years now and plan to use them with coco until the final pot . Start with a 1.5 , 8 , then 20 liter to final grow bag 45odd liters (not rocket)

Advantages

# Keeps your roots from circling.

# The 1.5 small milk carton shaped pots are handy size for guerrilla and outdoor scenarios.

# Lets you upsize pots with less lag to the plant. Good for mediums like coco that tend to bog down and require smaller pots first.

# Pots can be opened out with little damage too roots.

# Get's more air to your roots although subjective....

Things to consider

# The smallest pots will get the most use because of males, culling etc.. Hence as you up the size of your pots they'l be needed in lesser numbers. Buy your smalls first.

# Usefulness as a final pot is debatable considering their design is primarily to keep roots aligned for re potting.

# Pots are still black and will fry your roots quick in the sun. Shield them with something appropriate. Hessian etc..

# Subjective but they look like pots Darth Vader would grow his Jedi tea plants in (pretty evil) Might piss some one off that 1% more lol

Over all i really like them for a temporary pot. They do the job really well.

post-45427-0-84083700-1382763497_thumb.jpg

^Roots could use some enzymes but you get the picture ;)

post-45427-0-14413000-1382765308_thumb.png

^Buy these first . They're the most useful ime. You can cut them down too if you want them shorter.

Get into it  :sun:

-RR-

Edited by -RiverRat-
  • Upvote 2

Used them for a couple of years now and plan to use them with coco until the final pot . Start with a 1.5 , 8 , then 20 liter to final grow bag 45odd liters (not rocket)

Advantages

# Keeps your roots from circling.

# The 1.5 small milk carton shaped pots are handy size for guerrilla and outdoor scenarios.

# Lets you upsize pots with less lag to the plant. Good for mediums like coco that tend to bog down and require smaller pots first.

# Pots can be opened out with little damage too roots.

# Get's more air to your roots although subjective....

Things to consider

# The smallest pots will get the most use because of males, culling etc.. Hence as you up the size of your pots they'l be needed in lesser numbers. Buy your smalls first.

# Usefulness as a final pot is debatable considering their design is primarily to keep roots aligned for re potting.

# Pots are still black and will fry your roots quick in the sun. Shield them with something appropriate. Hessian etc..

# Subjective but they look like pots Darth Vader would grow his Jedi tea plants in (pretty evil) Might piss some one off that 1% more lol

Over all i really like them for a temporary pot. They do the job really well.

attachicon.gifDSCF1859.JPG

^Roots could use some enzymes but you get the picture ;)

attachicon.gifrocketpot-s1020-single.png

^Buy these first . They're the most useful ime. You can cut them down too if you want them shorter.

Get into it  :sun:

-RR-

Sorry I know this is an old thread but RR may I ask how you water yours?  Can you put the pots in a tub and water from the bottom up with coco??

**EDIT - I just noticed RR has been offline since Nov2013  So the Q goes out to any other members using air/rocket pots :)

Edited by nici
  • Upvote 1

I used 8L rocket pots for an indoor grow with soil and found the best way to water them to let them wick from the bottom.  I started out top watering by hand.  However, once the pots dry out the water tended not to soak down into the soil as well and quite a lot of soil and water would come out of the holes closer to the top.

Bottom watering solved both problems.      I haven't grown in coco though.

I have also used the 8L rocket pots as starters and when plants were put in the ground they never looked back - no transplant shock at all.

I mainly used the square 1.5L pots to start my outdoor seedlings [pending sexing] and I had them all in a big tub that I filled with approx. an inch of water for them to soak up.  The square shape meant they fit nicely into the tub and being in the tub meant the pots didn't get too hot because they weren't exposed to the sun.

However, by the time they showed sex the plants had all reached the 11th node and had way outgrown the 1.5L pots.  Even so, the root mass when I finally did transplant were really nice fibrous roots with no circling as you would traditionally get. 

Next year I will be planting 2 seeds per 8 L pot instead to see if that goes better.

Overall though, definitely recommend them.

• Upvote 1